It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Needing a rough, low grit stone
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Dear CKTG,

I've noticed when attempting to restore badly abused knives that my 500 Beston isn't coarse enough, and, my XXC Diamond is really too coarse.

This has lead me to looking at the Shapton Glass 220. In your experience, is the Shapton 220 to 500 Beston to a 1200 Bester a workable starting progression?

Also, I need to place an order for at least Hand American's Boron Carbide if not the additional stone. Is it possible I can send a money order as I do not use credit/debit cards?

Thank you for your time and service.

Sincerely,

Rod Gilsrud

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Needing a rough, low grit stone
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rod,

Would you mind if I posted your question on our new forum? I have several pro sharpeners that will chime in and help you with some suggestions.
sharpening-q-a-f5.html

The shapton 220 will work for you. I also like the Nubatama Bamboo 220. Check out the video to see how the stone works:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nubatoma2.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you have the DMT XXC, I highly recommend either the Shapton 120 or 220 Glassstones. Use the DMT plate to build a slurry on the stone, and you'll have something that cuts almost as fast as diamond, but gives a much finer finish without all the really deep scratches that diamond can leave. The jump from 120 to 500 should be okay, the jump from 220 to 500 is even better. Personally, if I use a 120, I like to follow it with 320, then 1,000. If I have 220, then I follow with 500 and 1,000. Going from 120 to 500 is no problem, I just seem to get better results with a 320.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:59 am 

Knife Fanatic that is helpful. I have been contemplating and additional course stone myself. I have the the DMT XC and C, the beston 500. I just seem to enjoy the stones so much more than the plates. I have been looking at the beston 220, or the Nubatama Ume 220. My hope is eventually to combine one with Nubatama Bamboo 150 Grit. This would be a progression for major repair, re-profiling and extremely abrasion resistant steels. Any one have any thoughts about this?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

I would go for the Nubatama 150. This will clean up DMT XXC scratches quickly and yet leave a finish that will allow you to go to a finer grit relatively easily, only slightly coarser than the 500 Beston finish. Depending on the types of knives you are doing you could skip to as high as a 1000 grit stone from the Nubatama 150 for softer steel knives I'd suggest an 800 Nubatama as a good followup from the 150. For more abrasion resistant steels, you might consider adding a drop of 30 micron CBN on the 800 grit stone slurry to markedly speed up the process. 30 Micron CBN slurry is a water based suspension so it will work well on stones and is approximately equivalent to 500 grit so it will also act as a transition between the two stones as well. You only need a drop to actually HEAR the difference in cutting rates.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:24 pm 

For what it's worth I have the Nubatama 60 grit and if you need to take the paint off a battle ship this puppy will do so :) But forewarned that very low grits like this and the other like them can really, really mess up your edge if you're not careful, so you will need to give a lot of attention to how much you're removing.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:50 pm 

Nubatama Bamboo 150.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:58 pm 

Thanks guys that is helpful. Now just need more funds...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]