It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Ziricote/Cocobolo woods
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:05 am 
Forum Moderator

I tried a handle using a full face shield respirator and did all of the work with the respirator and didn't take the respirator off unless I was outside of the shed, no itchiness! But the full resp. is a PITA during the summer heat :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:01 pm 

is there anyway to dampen the wood while it being worked to cut down on dust? Probably a dumb question

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

It will dry out and fly later and the damp dust will stick to everything. These are oily woods and the damp will make them more gummy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:48 pm 

taz575 wrote:I tried a handle using a full face shield respirator and did all of the work with the respirator and didn't take the respirator off unless I was outside of the shed, no itchiness! But the full resp. is a PITA during the summer heat :(

I've read enough about allergic reactions and sensitizers that I've been doing all my exotic-wood work with closed goggles, long sleeves, gloves, and a half-face 3M cartridge respirator. It is sweaty and uncomfortable in the New England summer, but effective. Glad you are finding the mask works for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:40 am 

Yeah, I can't imagine. Apparently (based on an allergy screen), I'm fairly allergic to a few trees' pollen. I've never really noticed as the pollen isn't that concentrated in the air and the nuts themselves don't bother me. The only other thing that I have that level of sensitivity to is cats and, given how bad my skin and eyes get when I hold one, or pet one in a friends house, I can't imagine what the reaction would be to hickory oil/dust in a closed environment.... Guess no handle making without a bubble-boy set up for me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:26 pm 

Ive heard that a big shop fan blowing behind you, or almost behind you and another exhaust fan behind your grinder can help alot in containing the dust, or atleast getting it away from the operator.

https://www.facebook.com/BlackstoneKnifeCo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I have a fan that blows the air out of my shop, but it blows the dust all around my yard and at my house, so that doesn't work either :(

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2