It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:28 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 19 of 22 [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Welcome to Chefknivestogo Forum
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:02 am 

Another nube!

Hi Guys, I’ve enjoyed reading the many pages so far and just joined this forum. Quick bio – I’ve had an interest in sharpening knives for about the last 50 years. Mid to late 90’s I started getting into the theory & designed a number of jigs. The last of which was a very large & very agricultural version of the Edge Pro. Then I found edgeproinc.com & found that Ben had done all the hard work and produced a beautiful bit of kit. And so my descent into the rabbit hole began.

I bought the Apex in 1999 & I’m still seriously impressed with it and with Ben’s design & philosophy. I also wish this forum was around back then as it would have saved a lot of mistakes & pfaffing around, but compared to some of you though I can see I’ve got a lot further to go down that rabbit hole! Also finding CKtG is like taking an alcoholic to the pub!

Generally I’m sharpening two sets of kitchen knives half a dozen of my favourite specials, half a dozen other knives and some for friends. Haven’t really got anything that is super hard. I can regularly get hair pinging edges with ease, but having seen drmatt357 & others I can see lots of room for improvement, & that’s where this forum is sure to help.

I will post separately but I have come up with a mod to the Apex stone arm pivot block, which is pretty straightforward, and achieves much the same outcome, in reducing the “slop” between the arm & the plastic of the block, as Madrookie’s mod (professional prototype pivot) to the EP Pro.

Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:37 am 

A pleasure Grant. I'm looking forward to any forthcoming tips and tricks from extensive experience!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:50 pm 

Well Grant, the pub is open, come on in! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:27 am 

Am loving my new Masakagi Yuki. Can't wait to buy some more!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 pm 

Welcome Grant!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:48 pm 

mustyblowfish wrote:Am loving my new Masakagi Yuki. Can't wait to buy some more!

That's the spirit. I know that after lusting after a knife it's all about that next one for me!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:00 am 

hello everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:30 am 

Hi all, thanks for this forum, for all answers and advice !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:42 am 
Forum Moderator

Welcome aboard Pitts!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:00 pm 

Hello,

I live in Sweden and I've enjoyed reading this forum for about a year now and decided it was time to join in.

About 18 months ago I got sick and tired of my cheap IKEA knives (meh! I'm a Swede after all) and decided to buy something with more quality to it. Of course I decided to buy a knife set of stainless K-Sabatier. After all, they looked alot like my old knives, but more expensive. :roll: But just one month later I decided to try something really different. The sturdy Sabatiers were my safe fallback to something familiar and now it was time to experiment. Something japanese with harder steel, maybe even carbon steel? I bought a Goko white #1 and presto! the Sabatiers had become my guest knives. Since then I've bought many japanese kitchen knives, maybe too many? I've started a collection, that's for sure. But it's fun to collect something you can use as well. At the moment I'm all for japanese carbon knives. I've always appreciated handmade things with all its little "imperfections" (I call it a soul). The rustic feel of for example kurouchi and wa handles, I like. Not very interested in glimmering bling. ;)

I'm currently trying to learn sharpening on waterstones. If there is any progress, it is slow, but I have patience, I will learn. Also, I'm buying new knives all the time, which means more rotation and it takes more time for them to get dull. :P

I'll continue to read this forum and hopefully contribute a bit as well. :)

Page 19 of 22 [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next