It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Edge Pro start up questions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,
Just received the edgepro system and hope you can spare the time to answer some basic q's.
My main work knives are carbonext gyoto and fujiwara fkm petty and sujihiki( double bevel) what would the optimum sharpening angle for these knives be. Is 15 dergree too much?
Do i need to try and find the angle i have already started with whetstones or can i just jump straight in and set edge pro to a particular angle and and re sharpen to a new angle?
Any advice on dealing with the 60/40 asymmetry of the carbonext?
I also use a kasumi honesuki, a misono hankotsu and fujiwara single bevel western deba so any advice on those would be helpful or any links to videos on the net.
thanks for your help

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro start up questions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

There are two ways you can approach it. The easier way is to copy the edge. You do this by using a sharpie and painting just the edge of the knife. Then adjust the arm so you hit and remove the entire mark.

Way #2 is to just set the Edge Pro angle and start sharpening. If the angle is more acute you will produce a quick microbevel and there is nothing wrong with that. If the angle you use is less acute you will have to spend a little time on the roughest stone to thin the edge until you actually are grinding an edge. You will know when this is achieved when you form a burr on the edge. Then flip it over and repeat.

15 degrees is an approximate angle used by many Japanese knife makers but it's always good to check by using the marker since it can vary from maker to maker and even from knife to knife.

I'll let Ken or one of the other Edge Pro junkies answer the single bevel question.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]