It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: one more time ... thanks for your input!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:10 pm 

do you mind if I ask some advice on a new gyuto?

I am not a professional cook by any means but I cook as a hobby. Typically, that means hard food prep every sunday but only a few hours a week. This is a good time of my week.

I sharpen my own camping knives and have a spyderco sharpmaker as well as a chosera 400, 800 and 2000. I have a suehriko 6000-3 that I am new to and still figuring out. I have strops with barkriver green and white and enkay black emery but I am only happy with the green so far.

I have a bunch of inexpensive knives and don't laugh but I think it gives insight into what I like to use to work with.
I have some cutco knives which I liked but I can't sharpen. (at least the d shaped ones)
The cutco chef's knife i have is too short for my taste so I never use it.
I have a wustof classic 20 cm knife which does pretty well and currently is my favorite knife except it is too short and so...
I find I use a super cheap 26 cm knife (10 bucks?) more that I bought because I like the size better and don't mind sharpening it so that negates the importance of the steel when I use it.

I want to buy a high quatlity knife now. I am somewhat anxious about carbon because I have never used it. My things take hard use in general. I buy them to use them so want a knife I don't have to "worry" about. I could be convinced however with some support.

If this gives any insight....I have a sebenza but I "worry about it" so I find I use my paramilitary instead. My paramilitary I never worry about and use it for what needs to be done.

I have never used a knife as long as 27 cm but I enjoy the larger knife I have enough that I think a 270 would work much more than a 210 and yet a 240 might be fine. I wonder if the 270 is better for my taste.

I don't like rebuying things, and instead of a "starter" knife to be followed by the knife I use and want, just help me buy the knife I really want to start with.

I am not going to buy a 500 dollar knife but don't recommend something that is temporary either. Looking in my drawers in the kitchen I see quite a few very old knives that never seem to go away.

Thanks for your help!

cooldays

Post subject: Re: one more time ... thanks for your input!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:53 am 

What kind of grip do you use?

What kind of cutting motion do you use?

would you prefer anything(wood/plastic handle, wa/western handle, Japanese/American made, etc)?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:04 pm 

I am not that sophisticated about technique to answer your questions about grip and style.

I have all western handled knives and am attracted to the idea of trying a japanese handle.

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

OK, I'm guessing on a couple things but here is what I get from your post:

Right Handed (my guess)
Japanese wa handle
240mm or 270mm
Prefer Stainless
Under $500, good knife for a reasonable price.

Here are a couple that I would suggest you check out:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rila27gy.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagigy24.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagrchwa27.html

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:21 pm 

How is that ginsan steel? does it come in 270?

Any suggestions from you on why to choose one over another?

I am leaning toward 270 size based on what I like to use now.

I have to admit I expected someone to suggest konosuke.

thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:11 am 

I'll throw in with the Konosuke. I just got a Kono 270 HD and it is fantastic. not the thinnest knife out the but thin enough. Fantastic geometry good sharpness out of box and a nice ebony handle that I think improves the balance, look, and weight of the knife.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]