It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 210 Gyutos: Megumi vs. Anryu Hammered vs. Yuki
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jeff - glad you like the knife. I did some 240 comparisons/testing last evening and the Megumi 240 is also just a very, very good all around performer. Regardless of steel, they're nice knives :-).

On another note - I hope you mean that you're cutting through the joints when working with the chickens and not through the actual bone. That would be a serious no-no with these blades - you'd be just asking for chipping on the edge or worse. Joints should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:49 pm 

Haha. Kind of, yeah....

I spread the joint, aim through to cut between the bones...

This knife is just kind of RUDE and slices off bone on the knuckles and shaves them down, vs. my petty which I can navigate more easily with a slight twist through the joint.

I'm not TRYING to cut through bone, and I'm definitely not hacking off the tips of a wing, - I'm kind of a puss, I use scissors for some of that.... but with my version of the knife, I'm slicing off thin bits of bone between the joints with this knife if I'm not extra careful and slow.

Anyway, I've cut up some chickens before, but this was the first time I bought two whole birds to bring home with the intention of busting them up and seeing how it worked out, without switching to another knife. The tip was pretty nimble, I guess. I'm afraid I'm digging myself a hole here so I surrender =D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:58 pm 

Question about the wood on the megumi. After using it for a couple days, just normal kitchen use, the handle has become totally 'raw' and is basically 'fuzzy' all around, with rough grain and feels somewhat uncomfortable to hold.

Is that normal...? I know I could tape the ferrule and sand the handle down, but I don't really want to have to do that on a $260.00 knife... Seems kind of just unpleasant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:56 am 

I was comparing apples to pineapples, at length. Curious if or when Anryu's 240mm is going to come back in stock? Better than the wall of text i'd posted here originally. Sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:56 pm 

Jeffuith wrote:Question about the wood on the megumi. After using it for a couple days, just normal kitchen use, the handle has become totally 'raw' and is basically 'fuzzy' all around, with rough grain and feels somewhat uncomfortable to hold.

Is that normal...? I know I could tape the ferrule and sand the handle down, but I don't really want to have to do that on a $260.00 knife... Seems kind of just unpleasant.

I could be wrong, but think that is probably a result of the fact the wood on the handle probably isn't stabilized and get a little rough/peel if scrubbed. Basically, got keep the handle dry and clean with only a little bit of water. Seems like a lot of Japanese knives have similar handles (my Shimo does) which I'm not really a huge fan of either. Don't really like Octagonal handles to-boot, but it is what it is I suppose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:06 pm 

Also, if you treat it occasionally with mineral oil it will help keep it in shape

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:19 pm 

Jeffuith wrote:Question about the wood on the megumi. After using it for a couple days, just normal kitchen use, the handle has become totally 'raw' and is basically 'fuzzy' all around,

I believe that Japanese intend for their handles to react this way. Its about retaining grip when wet.

If you do not like your handles like this, have a look at Melampus' posts from page 3 of:

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/post49413.html?hilit=%20handles#p49413

Mowgs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you don't like the wood grain raising when wet, then you can sand it and either

A) Use an occasional mineral oil or mineral oil/beeswax treatment.

B) Perform a more permanent treatment with a few coats of Watco Danish Oil or a Tung Oil formulation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:01 pm 

I use tru oil gun stock finish and it works great for me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:45 pm 

Cpeggs wrote:I use tru oil gun stock finish and it works great for me

+1 This finish is not slick when wet either.

Page 4 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next