It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 18 of 22 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Welcome to Chefknivestogo Forum
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:31 pm 

Hey again everyone. Haven't been around for a while. Trying to catch up on the new site and all the new products!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Welcome back! Yes, lots of new stuff on the site. Mark's been busy :-).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:32 pm 

Hi everyone, I'm back after a month or two away. Life got complicated and busy (which is crazy because it's supposed to get easy this time of year for teachers...) and I just have been taking care of business at home and work. I'm going to try and get back into the swing of things and catch up on the forums!

Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

Welcome back Coach!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:21 pm 

Hey guys. I've been around the forums for awhile, but I haven't really made use of this thread. SO! I'm 37, from the SF Bay Area. Not a pro cook, but spend most of my time thinking about cooking and food anyway. And if anyone knows a kitchen in SF who wants someone to peel onions and scrub potatoes for awhile for free, i'm totally game.... :}

I started out shopping at a restaurant supply warehouse in south San Francisco, where I'd go buy cheap knives like Dexter Russel, slowly getting pots and pans one at a time for specific needs, the right cutting board, trying to keep sharp some Dexter Russels, Wusthof and old knives I inherited from my pops.. And the people there were pretty awesome, saying things like "One day you'll have your own restaurant!"... I don't know how many teenagers they had shopping in their store. Lol. I've been trying to build from that, and I've been working towards the knife front over the last few years.

I got a Tojiro Kiritsuke awhile ago, thinking it would be my 'practice knife' because of the relatively straight edge to learn to sharpen on, but once I used it I changed my mind about 'screwing it up while practicing' completely and have since sanded the handle, spine, choil, made it sharp enough to shave some hair on my forearm, and learned what reactivity looks like. At least a tiny little bit...

I took over running my dad's printing company around 2007 after he had a stroke and found myself in charge of a 14man crew running a company. The week before, I'd gone to the CCA and taken a tour, met with their recruiter (who called me 3x a week for the next 7 months) and was seriously ready, willing, and able, to pull the trigger. The CIA requires some experience and a reference from a former chef or something, and I don't think my grandma qualified but I didn't pursue it.. either way, both schools currently cost more than CAL Berkeley. At the time I had a job at the family business that would have allowed me to study, and work at the same time. (Nepotism is great that way...)

Anyway, that didn't work out, and I found myself running the company. And aside from my printing clients, (I've done everything from Sony headphone clamshells, apple business cards, to mom and pop trade-show stuff) I don't really have a hell of a resume, since I was kind of self-employed for some years... So here I am. =D

Chip B, I saw you just recently introduced yourself but you've been lurking for awhile and and thanks for your input over the last few weeks. I've appreciated it, just to single you out amid a sea of moderators and super well-informed people. If you started out here like me... awesome.

Thanks to those of you who take the time to go over stuff probably again and again to help folks like myself out... Thanks, and Hopefully it's not wasted.

Last edited by Jeffuith on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:52 pm 

Hey Jeff, glad you enjoyed the input! Seems like we do have very similar culinary background/circumstances. I've learned a ton from the more experienced users on this forum and dove in the deep end right away with a few knives which really helped me put a lot of what I was reading into context and begin to appreciate some nuanced differences in blade design.

Look forward to reading your stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:31 pm 

San Francisco is a good city for what you want. More enthusiasm than experience gets you through a lot of doors. They don't have to unteach you anything.

Welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:02 am 

My name is Alex, and I'm a knifaholic.

I find knife sharpening and washing dishes to have a tremendous therapeutic effect in my busy life. I've been cooking all my life, and I enjoy studying regional cuisines and wines. I'm a som. And an engineer. And an all-around geek.

I teach technical math, blueprint reading, metallurgy, manual and CNC machining at a local community college. With that said, I'm of the mindset that good knives should be made by hand, since they are more art than science.

Played with knives since I was 5 — simply throwing them into the sandbox at first with other boys. Then learning to sharpen pencils, cutting whistles, canes, bows and arrows. And of course learning sharpening on a whetstone from my dad at the age of 6.

I have a large number of 20 year old now non-existent "Solingen" brand (I can post pics of them for anybody who thinks I'm confusing the name of the city with a brand) knives. Plus some other odd ceramic Kyocera, Vikings, Wusthofs and Sabatiers.

Hunting for Shapton glass, I stumbled upon Mark's site, and recalled it being mentioned by a lot of my chef friends, along with their common passion for the Japanese knives. I bought a couple of Takedas and became an instant convert. Just picked my first yanagi — Doi's blue.

I love what you guys started here! Hope to become a useful member of this family.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Welcome aboard Alex - you'll fit in here VERY well :-).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:18 pm 

Hi Alex, "I teach....metallurgy....at a local community college." Boy are we going to have fun with you! :ugeek:

Page 18 of 22 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next