It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Being routed to other sites.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:55 am 

My Symantec just popped up with 'malicious web attack' Never seen that before. Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:33 am 

FWIW, chefknivestogoforum.com contains the script "http://edge.quantserve.com/quant.js" which is hosted on a blacklisted malware website.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:38 pm 

Hot tip for those who are posting to the forum. Select all and copy often. That way, when you're redirected to some weak game you can just go back and paste.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:19 pm 

Pop-ups are now hijacking my iPhone browser and making it unusable. :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:25 am 

Well I've pretty much reduced my usage of this forum to the sharpening discussions. If the owner doesn't want to step up and address these issues then its time to go elsewhere. I'll still refer customers to the website but I can no more refer them to join the forum until these issues are addressed seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:46 am 

This issue is awful. In fact, the redirection/hijacking causes downloads of malware on occasion as well. Because of this site, I had to grab the Do Not Disturb extension from Google. Better, but still have these problems daily. Really not an acceptable environment at all if the goal is to attract, and retain, participants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:00 pm 

Yeah its the same problem I documented before and its pretty common with phpBB boards. If you are on a computer I would install AdBlock Plus I cannot recommend it enough.

There are a millions and millions of sites that have potential ad problems. Even places as Ny Times and ESPN and Yahoo from time to time get tricked into hosting a malware/spyware ad. Plus adblock plus gets rid of annoying youtube ads. It is worth it just for that reason. I also recommend Collusion for Chrome, Disconnect, and HTTPS Everywhere. Those are the 4 essential extensions.

But this is the problem with free boards. PhpBB I think it depends on what tier you are and you can pay for adverts to be removed. If you aren't on a tier then you have to pay by page view where its like 10 bucks for every 50k page views to have no ads. Not sure how many page views these forums get. And why would anyone pay anything for phpBB??

In that case I would switch web hosting providers to a company that runs vbulletin and just pay that hosting company a yearly fee. There is nothing else that can be with phpBB to get rid of those adverts unless there is some hack out there. Their forums are actually full of people recommending to run Ad Block Plus to their users.

The only thing we as users can do is make it known to Mark that the forum needs a complete update to a different software that is about it. I'm not sure if CTKG has an IT consultant or if they just hire web developers or what.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:09 pm 

Similar thing happens on the iPad I'm using , emptying the cache and cookies alleviates the issue , it is temporary though as they occur again after time, it may not be this forum but residue from other sites visited.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:02 pm 

FWIW - I access the forum from my (1 yr old) Macbook Pro (it has no problems whatsoever). However, my iPad and iPhone (5) both have redirect issues from the Forum (to App Store) that are pretty bad - they started out as occasional a few weeks ago, and now happen nearly every visit. All devices have the most recent OS software updates. I'm not piling on - just trying to add data to the "what works, what doesn't?" threads of conversation here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:53 pm 

And DAMN if I didn't jinx myself - after posting my last note about my MacBook being unscathed, the pop-ups hit my Macbook - BUT - there's a Safari Extension that blocks pop-ups- see it under the Safari Menu -->Safari Extensions ...

Page 4 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next