It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Aogami Super Steel knives.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

My chef and I recently started to talk about what knife he should get next. I own a 210mm Takeda Guyto, and absolutely love it, so of course I tell him that it is worth every penny. On the other hand, I recently stumbled across the Moritaka Supreme series and told him to check them out. The main reason he likes both brands is because the knives come with a 50/50 edge, and he has been looking for a blade made of aogami super steel. I've brought up the fact that they Moritakas are still quality knives, but he said he couldn't live with buying an inferior product to mine! Please let me know about the main differences in the brands or if you have any other suggestions. Thank you!

loyal customer,

Kristian

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Aogami Super Steel knives.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

HI Kristian,

The Moritakas are very comparable. Have your boss take a look at these Kanehiros as well: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kanehiro.html

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:28 am 

While somewhat on the subject, I have been looking at Takeda knives for a while but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet because I am concerned how they hold up in a professional kitchen. Does anyone have any experience with an AS steel knife performance during a prep and dinner service?
Much appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:27 am 

I do have experience with AS at work. I have two Moritaka Supremes. A 240 gyuto that I use for the majority of my non butchering knife work and a 150 petty that is use for utility during prep and as my knife on the line for slicing meats, scoring fish, etc. Both of them hold up wonderfully, even on the NSF boards we use. The edge holds just fine during service. I touch up on a 5k Shapton Pro once or twice a week, and if whatever work you're doing dulls it past that, a few minutes on a 1k brings it back. They have developed an interesting brownish patina that might turn some people off, but I kind of like it myself.

As for the original post; my sous has a 270mm Takeda gyuto and really it's tough to say whether his AS or my AS gets/holds a better edge. They're really very close. So if just the steel is the concern, I would recommend the Moritaka due to the lower cost. However, the geometry of the two is apples to oranges, and if a user has a preference, that could be make or break for either one. Also, the kurouchi finish on my Moritaka seemed to be applied to it after the fact whereas the Takeda's looks and feels far more like an actualy by-product of the forging process.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

They actually both are applied in a similar manner. They paint that stuff on and then forge it and it becomes black. I think it looks more like a part of the knife from Takeda because his knives have small hammer marks that the kurouchi finish clings to better and also Takeda sprays his knives with a laquer which keeps it in place and prevents it from coming off as quickly but it still can be removed if you scrub it.

I actually like the looks better without that stuff.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:07 am 

i recently gave one of my AS steel knives a hot vinegar bath just to cut back the reactivity some and it definitely worked incase youre worried about forgetting to wipe it down during service. the bummer is that the vinegar completely stripped off the kurouchi also.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:27 am 
Site Admin

Takeda just gave me a knife sharpening lesson using his combo stone on a stick. It was great fun!

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:47 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:Takeda just gave me a knife sharpening lesson using his combo stone on a stick. It was great fun!

Not everyone can say that!

To the OP, I'd say the Takedas and Moritaka Supreme series is very similar in quality, but I like the Takedas better, for personal reasons. The Moritakas just cross the line from 'rustic' to 'rough' for me. The ironic thing is that one of the things that bugs me the most is the weld line on the Moritakas where they weld a stainless tang onto a carbon blade. It's a damn fine idea, it just disturbs me visually for some reason.

But yeah, the steel is good on both.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:11 pm 

melaph
told me about brittle feel of the mori AS, but havent heard that complaint from anyone elss..
And I found that they have a deba made of AS, I read he sharpens his 10-12 degrees, if I go to 15 degrees I know itll be stronger, but will it have a brittle feel?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:44 pm 

Ah yes, that makes sense that the deeper hammer marks hold on to the finish.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]