It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Deba recommendation?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

They are both very good. Nicer handle and fit and finish on the Suisin. Little harder, better steel on the Tojiro. If I had to choose between the two I would go for the Tojiro.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojirodeba.html

I'd go with the Tojiro. It is a beast, gets deadly sharp. The handle is decent enough, but the blade is just awesome. Very good steel.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:39 pm 

Never used the Tojiro, but I used to work sometimes with a Suisin like that one. It worked great. I actually repaired one recently with a few chips and a messed up Shinogi, and it was a pretty easy task, all things considered.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:18 pm 

Thanks guys, I will be getting the Tojiro then. Also not sure if I should post it here or as another topic but how much would it cost to put a handle on a 300mm Yanagi? The knife never had a handle made for it.

Attachments:
Yanagi.jpg [32.75 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:07 am 

Depends on what kind of handle you want. The sky's the limit! Mammoth tooth, Premium Gold Ironwood Burl, Fossilized Walrus Tusk, fileworked bronze spacers, carved jade buttcap and a dragon/tiger scrimshaw will run you like $1,000.

I'm being a smartass, but really it's anywhere from like $50-$200 depending on how nice a handle you want.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:13 am 

Haha a dragon's scrimshaw sounds a bit too epic.

I just wanted something simple like an ebony wood handle with a buffalo ferrule or even a regular ho wood handle with a buffalo ferrule.

Something like the handle on your custom Murray Carter would look awesome but most likely very price.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a couple good ones we got recently from Tanaka. Blue #2, HRC 62 and under $200.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakabasic.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:49 am 
Forum Moderator

Well Nubatama makes debas. His preference for debas is white steel rather than the blue steels or even the black steel. He feels that the white steel is a better choice for a knife that is chopping through fish bones. The one I have doesn't have a handle yet, but that thing is razor sharp. PM me if you are interested. It is usually a special order , but he may have one in stock of the size you want.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

I just ordered some white #2 steel 180mm debas from Konosuke. They should be in stock in about 30 days. White #2 is $240. We also have some White #1 on order and they will be about 10% more.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:36 pm 

I just looked at the Nubatama knives and they look fairly expensive. I don't know it if I could afford one right now.
Mark, do you have any pictures of the Konosuke deba or do the look exactly like the ginsan one (without fancy damascus)?
Also I am very new to carbon steel, so how does white#1, white#2, blue#2 stack up against each other in your opinion?
I did some research and some say its a preference thing and on some website they say white#1 can get the best edge. Murray Carter prefers white#1 for a very keen edge and says blue#2 is best for edge retention. I just don't have experience with either steel to know what I want.

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next