It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anryu 210mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:04 pm 

Through recommendation and advice I purchased the Anryu 210mm Gyuto. I feel I have had the knife long enough to give an accurate review on it. I am only a home cook and had no experience with other J Knives before this purchase. I also cannot talk much about the geometry of this knife compared to others. I can tell you I like this one a lot.

First, customer service, the buying prices, and shipping were all top notch.

The knife arrived and I immediately took it out of the box to admire it. It is a very nice looking tool. The fit and finish appeared very well done. The edge was sharp, but really sharp. I wasn't losing any hairs to the blade. The hammered finish adds a nice touch and I preferred the darker wood handle over others. I ran some finishing stones over the blade on my wicked edge sharpener. Still needs some work though.

First task was preparing for a Ponchartrain sauce to go with blackened red drum. No complaints. Next time up was to prepare for a weekend house party/bbq. I used the knife to do anything from trimming brisket and ribs to cutting vegetables to preparing 5 different picos and salsas. Again, no complaints. The knife is nimble enough for the small items and weighty enough for the larger tasks. After 5 full days of use on various meals I did not notice any loss of edge.

The knife is easy enough for me to use so I passed it over to my wife. I don't think I will get it back now. I had originally wanted a 240 mm and feel I will purchase one soon.

The knife cleans up well. The fit and finish are still like new. The blade isn't showing any patina or anything else yet.

Post subject: Re: Anryu 210mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:08 pm 

Can't go back and edit.

The OOTB edge was sharp, but NOT really sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:21 pm 

Nice review. I feel you on the size thing. Every time I buy a 210, I always wish I owned it in 240 from a performance perspective. That said, when it's a quick task, I almost always go for my 210s. So, I guess when I'm really thinking about it and analyzing performance, I prefer the bigger knife, but for quicker tasks outside of major meal prep, I gravitate to the 210s.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:08 am 

FireWater wrote:Can't go back and edit.

how-to-enable-editing-of-posts-for-newbies-t6905.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:14 am 

Thank you. I would not have figured that out on my own. I should've been more proactive at reading all the stickies and other areas of the board.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:57 pm 

Sounds like the knife is doing the job.

Are you happy with it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:18 am 

Yes, I am happy with it. I do think I will get a 240 though. All around performance on this 210 is appealing and feels very comfortable in my hand. I just want a little extra length on the next one.

I think you said you lived in the Austin area, Cedar. If you want to check this knife out in person maybe we can get together in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:25 pm 

I'd say get something else in a 240. Try something different.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:25 pm 

I have the 240mm, it is one of my favorites. I am glad you are enjoying it! I always hate stumping for something that someone ends up unhappy with.

I have a dozen knives or so from CKTG, drop me a line next time your in the market and we can see if I have something you want to have a look at.

I do agree with rayong, variety is fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:43 pm 

Firewater,

nice review. i have been thinking of getting the 240. Cedar, thanks for your opinons on the 240. it just made my decision a lot easier!

pat

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next