It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What handle on the wa-gyuto Artifex
Red White and Blue camo and a black micarta ferrule piece  6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Orange Creamsicle Micarta with white micarta ferrule  12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Stabilized Maple burl with buffalo horn ferrule  82%  82%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 34

Post subject: Re: Handle options for the Artifex Wa-Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

I got the other 13 ones shaped to 80 grit, but our electrical box was getting hot with the AC and my belt sanders running, so I had to take a break. I hope to get those belt finished this afternoon and I may start on the Wa handle one this evening!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

You are a beast! You motivate me to do more man, really, awesome posts, all of them. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm still working on this one, may need to slim down the ferrule a tad, but this will give you guys an idea of what it looks like!! I had to take the pics inside since it started to downpour outside :( Handle hasn't been epoxied to the blade or anything, just shaped and polished to see how it looks/feels in the hand and on the board.

Handle close ups:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:52 am 

i like the idea of a wa artifex 240mm but something like maple burl might be too pricey. i imagine you want to keep the artifex price low, idk maybe 125-140ish?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:59 am 
Forum Moderator

Most custom handled 210mm Artifex are going for around $160-$170 on CKTG. You get top notch AEB-L, and nicely fitted handles in nice wood with Mosaic pins and I am also including liner material now to give it more contrast. Maple burl is one of the less expensive stabilized wood burls as well and depending on where you get it, sometimes you can get 2 handles out of one block, or a handle and a ferrule. I get a lot of wood from It's a Burl (Mark Farley) and sometimes, depending on the block and the handles, you can get 2 or 3 knives out of it!

For the 240 Artifex, it starts out higher ($90), so when you add in the materials and labor, it's not going to have a chance being near $140. Factory Micarta would run around $15-$20 for the material alone, vs $25-$35 for most Burled woods. Then you have to take into account the time to regrind the tang down (as well as wear and tear on the belts since it is hard steel!), and the building up the handle. I've seen finished wood burl Wa handles on other forums go for $175 installed on your knife, not including converting the knife to a Wa style tang. On the Artifex, the customizing adds around $100 to the price, maybe a bit more for the Wa conversion, so it's a good bit less than many other options out there! Spending almost $200 on a custom handle vs getting a whole knife with a custom handle for that price is a big difference.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

A teaser pic, I will post the rest in the Photo Section!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:15 pm 

sorry i had no idea they cost that much. the handle does look great though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

No prob LOL! I wish I could do them for cheaper, but it's a fairly labor intensive thing to rehandle the knives, let alone convert to a Wa style and then do the handle. If you get the knife and really like it, it's something that can be done down the road, too, so you could get it, make sure you like it and then have it done later when you have the money. Then you could take your time and really look over the different materials available, maybe hand pick a special piece of wood or horn, etc and really make it custom!

The AEB-L is one of the few stainless steels I don't mind working with. The CPM-154 is OK, but a pain to sharpen. The Artifex out of the box are a really nice blade for the price!! The 240's come with Micarta handles, so that is an upgrade over the 210mm (usually around double the cost of the Dymondwood on the 210mm Artifex). The stock handles on the Artifex are pretty nice out of the box, so they don't need to be customized; it's for the people who want that little something extra!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

Looking good! I can't wait to see them in person.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ok, Wa is epoxying onto the tang now, then it gets sharpened fully tonight! I hope to have all of the handle finishes done tomorrow, and then mail out on Thursday for these first 15!

Page 2 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next