It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your top 3 Gyuto w/ best geometry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:45 pm 

Funny Mark, I've been trying to get an answer to that questions out of Mr Chop for months now and three PM? Guess he either doesn't know the answer to that question or is intentionally ignoring me?

Chop what do you say. Are you in Carolina or not? The Bullman and i have been talking about hosting a Knife-in. Are you down?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:14 pm 

Those Moritaka ks are nice...i regret selling mine. My vote goes:

1. Devin Thomas 250 mystery carbon
2. Devin Thomas 270 pm san mai
3. Mario (rrlover) 260 cpm 154

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:44 am 

Sorry Mucho Bucho, not my intention to ignore you at all...

I am in North Carolina. We moved to Clayton in the Riverwood Athletic Club area. My wife got a job in the Wake County school system as a special ed teacher. I have recently started looking for a job within the downtown Raleigh area; some sort of leadership roll... I have had interviews with Bu-Ku, Second Empire, Pooles Diner, etc.. but nothing has panned out yet; seems as the season is winding down everyone is worried about keeping their current staff working and happy.

So far we are loving NC, except for the humidity and bugs; this may take a while to get used to. Also, the grocery stores here aren't as diverse;

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:15 pm 

I guess Mark is still working on putting a link on the CKTG website for Sakai Yusuke knives (e.g. 240mm "special thin" gyuto w/ ebony handle for me...not sure what every one else wants...wonder if SY makes Nakiri's). :) As well as link for Glestain knives (I know CKTG has become one of a few retailers now offering...). :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 pm 

I know some people are not crazy about Glastain Knives, I for one, I happen to like them. I am very curious about Sakai Yusuke knifes, I hear they are good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:28 pm 

damasknut wrote:I know some people are not crazy about Glastain Knives, I for one, I happen to like them. I am very curious about Sakai Yusuke knifes, I hear they are good.

Glestain knives I'm finding out is a love'em or hate'em affair. CKTG stop carrying them btw. Just got confirmation from Mark.

Not sure I'll still order one. It's that kind of knife that could end up sitting on the magnetic rack for me.

When Sakai Yusuke's are available on CKTG I'm sure Mark will let us know. Shining spot lights into the sky...etc. But if you like to chop this knife will not be for you. Either of the "special thin" gyutos (e.g. 210mm @ 1.3mm and the 240mm @ 1.6mm). I'm not sure how acute the bevel angles are. Maybe in the 10-12 degree range?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:48 pm 

I think Korin still carries Glestain, also. I believe it's the steel that has put Glestain behind the times. Considered softer at 58hrc, and lesser than some of the newer, trendier steels available today.

If you like the indented blade, also consider the Sakai Takayuki Grand Cheff series...I think these are AEB-L stainless at +/- 60hrc.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:28 pm 

No Chop wrote:I think Korin still carries Glestain, also. I believe it's the steel that has put Glestain behind the times. Considered softer at 58hrc, and lesser than some of the newer, trendier steels available today.

If you like the indented blade, also consider the Sakai Takayuki Grand Cheff series...I think these are AEB-L stainless at +/- 60hrc.....

Yes, Korin, is still a dealer of Glestain knives. Not so sure I want to try one now.

One store owner up in Canada admitted one of the reasons why they don't sell Glestains is that they do need to be sharpened a lot more often. I assumed it was a 60 RC knife. But by the sounds of it maybe more as you said a 58. Though, I didn't think 58 would be consldered "soft". I assumed 59 is where hardness begins. Who knows.

Sakai? Was looking at their "Grand ChefF" line. Ok AEB-L knife. Affordable. But in the same price range there's also MAC which seem a little more substantial looking. The Grand ChefF's have a "cheap" look to them. Even if I'm sure they do the job.

If Glestains had better steel...rated at at least 61 RC...I might be more motivated...

And I don't think Glestains would make any one's "top 3 best geometry" lists. :) It's a workhorse knife which some say "steers itself" at times...and not a knife to be chosen if agility is a concern. If Arnold Schwarzenegger were a chef... :)

Nakiri: Konosuke Fujiwara 180mm (W#2)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:37 pm 

I see Mark has added "Saki YUSUKE" to his list of brands. (Btw Mark...you left the "spell check" feature off when typing the brand home page)

Looking forwards to picking up a 240mm "special thin" gyuto w/ ebony handle and blonde ferrule. For under $250.00.

Maybe also a Nakiri if SY makes them.

Guys. Keep submitting your "Top 3". :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:18 am 

It's contagious. It should be "SakAi YUsuke". :) Looking forwards to seeing a selection of his "special thin" knives for sale at CKTG w/ ebony handles.

Page 6 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next