It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Moritaka
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:26 pm 

I received a Moritaka KS 250 in the mail yesterday to repair/sharpen and I can't wait to get at it. Knives like this come to me once in every 300 knives so it's a treat for me. It has some minor chipping at the edge which shouldn't be too bad to fix.

The thing I immediately notice is that there are hardly any bevels, just this crazy thin edge. I am going to finish it at 8K unless someone recommends something different and likely at 12 deg per side, maybe even less once I take a closer look at it.

I'll follow up with the results.

Petr

Post subject: Re: Moritaka
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

SAILOR <> 8k is a great edge on that knife & 12dps is no problem, as well, BUT I will add, at that angle, I find that edge on that knife to be a bit too brittle in a pro setting. For a home cook in a residential environment it could be ok... I guess, but I'll throw out the idea of shooting for 10-12dps as I think you're free-handing it & then employing a radical one sided micro-bevel - somewhere around 30dps - opposite his dominant hand. ;) Without the microbevel, the knife will be more prone to experiencing the same microchipping that was the genesis for your receiving the knife, but ultimately, it's the owner's decision if they would like to sacrifice ultimate sharpness for durability or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:46 pm 

I was hoping you would reply, thanks Melampus. My new Kitayama 8k should be in the mail any day now.
As always your advice is much appreciated.
The owner is a home cook.
I'm always amazed at how quickly a burr will form on these knives compared to the far softer knives I'm used to. Far easier to sharpen this type of knife my most humble opinion.
The work is underway now though, I repaired the chipping quite quickly on a Shapton Glass 220, followed up with a 320 and 500.
I'm going tho wait until my new stone arrives to proceed but the Choseras are in the hopper.
I'm going to stick with 12 deg as requested by the owner.
Thanks again for your awesome reply my friend.
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

You're welcome, sir, and you're going to LOVE your new Kity... at least, I do.

It's better for you at a straight 12 degrees; the knife will have that "holy shit, this is sharp" factor when he gets it, and he'll microchip it no time flat. Then he can send it back to you for another sharpening fee... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:45 pm 

That's right man, that's the plan, I don't get to sharpen these too often, I would sharpen it for free if he lived in my area, just for the opportunity.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:19 pm 

ImageMy Kityama came and I love it.

Now the Moritaka was nice and sharp off of the 5k Chosera but I did indeed notice an improvement when I was finished the work on this stone. It had that really nice "grabby"edge to it and a beautiful polish.

I'm really glad I bought this stone, a fantastic addition to my collection.

I wish I got more knives like this to sharpen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:42 pm 

beautiful patina on that blade!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]