It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:27 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Misono UX10 blade design
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:53 pm 

How do you guys feel about the western/Japanese bevel on UX10 knives or knives like the Misono UX10. For those of you not familiar...the UX10 are Swedish steel knives with a 20 degree bevel (back) & a 10-12 degree bevel on the right (front). Making this knife for righties. Misono claims "superior cutting performance".

Why not simply do a 50/50 10-12 degree bevel knife? Or something approaching a single bevel design (e.g. 0-8 degree/10-12 degree bevel). Or at least make the bevel more "Japanese" (e.g. 15 degrees/10-12 degrees). Would having a 20 degree bevel on the "back side" not be a negative?

Last edited by BDD on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Misono UX10 blade design
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:21 pm 

The Misono UX10 is not VG-10. It is some kind of "Swedish Steel", and it is also not clad construction, they are stainless monosteel knives.

As far as the assymetrical bevel, it helps the knife to feel sharper because it brings the edge a bit closer to your guiding off-hand and tending to steer into the natural mis-alignment of your arm. It's not a huge difference, but it is different. I keep my main knife assymetrically sharpened.

And the 20 degree bevel is so incredibly tiny it will not create the problem that you are assuming it would In fact, the primary edge bevel angle is nothing compared to the geometry right behind it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

You're good Eamon. I wish some of you guys lived in Madison. I would hire you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:54 pm 

I guess I figured part of the reason why people buy Japanese knives is for the more acute angled bevels (than typically found on German knives). Just seems odd to put a "western angled" bevel on one side of a Japanese knife.

Asymmetrical bevels on "Japanese knives"? Sure. But using "Japanese bevel angles".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:27 pm 

With my Misono Swedish Carbon I noticed that the backside bevel was convexed as well. I found an inclusive angle of some 35 degree. In fact one of the best edges out of the box I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:20 am 

chefknivestogo wrote:You're good Eamon. I wish some of you guys lived in Madison. I would hire you.

Well, I would accept. Of course, you'd have to find something useful for me to do, because I make a policy of giving away anything I know for free. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]