It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:05 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Masakage Shimo 210MM Gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:49 pm 

So, I've been working with a Masakage Shimo 210MM gyuto for the past 10 days or so and couldn't have better things to say about this knife. The edge profile on the blade has a long generous flat which suits my cutting style perfectly. It is also an over-sized 210 (clocking in at 220MM) with good heel height which provides the knife with solid substance. The balance point is right at the heal of the blade which makes the already light knife feel very quick in the hand. While a pinch feels more natural given the Wa-style this knife is done in, the balance point makes it pretty comfortable in racquet grip as well. The convexing on the blade is awesome and tapers to a nice thin grind behind the edge. Nothing, and I mean nothing, really sticks to the knife. The grind and a crazy sharp edge OOTB make this thing a dream to work with on virtually every type of produce. It's not going to feel quite as slick as a laser, but will feels like it will handle a wider variety of tasks in seamless fashion.

It needs to be noted that the damascus on the blade is soft iron. This makes it highly reactive. The first veggie I cut was an onion that was probably past its prime and very acid. The iron cladding took on a nasty patina almost immediately. Cleaned off the patina with some lemon slices and a tomato. As I am also waiting on a Shigefusa that is iron clad, I decided to mess around with forcing a patina in preparation and used darkhoeks method though added some cow protein powder for a bit of additional effect. I think the result turned out pretty well

Only other complaint is the choil and spine could use some rounding. Overall, great performer for virtually every task, feels wonderful in the hand and a really good looking knife that just rquires a bit of extra care.

Attachments:
Shimo Patina.jpg [34.84 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post subject: Re: Masakage Shimo 210MM Gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:16 pm 

hi Chip,

that is one gorgeous knife and really sharp OOTB.

besides the edge, i try not to let a patina form on my shimo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:40 pm 

I hear that, but the reactivity on the iron cladding is just nuts. Had a natural patina going (cleaned the original patina off with baking powder slurry before starting the new one), but forced this one to prep for a Shigefusa that's coming which I will likely force as well. The reaction of the Shimo's iron on some fruits and veggies pretty insane and created some discoloration on contact with a couple of mangoes and other stuff. Can't see using it without a patina.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:51 pm 

With the Shig though, I'm thinking about a hot protein force. Little expensive to do, but might have a better result. Basically, buy 6 or so large chicken breasts, bake one, stick the knife in it for about 15 - 20 minutes and repeat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:01 am 

Should clarify earlier post. The discoloration I was referring to from the iron cladding was on the fruit itself from contact. More specifically, the iron cladding reacted with the skin and meat to such a degree that it left a blackish tinge on edge of the food. So, yeah... No more iron touching highly acidic produce sans-patina (unless there is a better solution)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:56 am 

Hey Chip if you want to put larger pics check out my post here it explains how
post62858.html#p62858

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:49 pm 

Awesome, thanks Copper!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:55 am 

Hi Chip, Did the discoloration affect the taste of the food and did the cladding have a smell to it? My first iron clad carbon knife had such a reactive cladding it literally changed right before my eyes, stank and left a metallic taste in the food. It eventually settled down but was quite a shock initially.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:24 pm 

Yes, to a certain extent. The iron definitely takes on an odor when reacting to acids. For the most part, it hasn't affected the taste of anything, but with certain ingredients would leave a blackish residue. That's pretty much why I think forcing a patina on this particular knife is sort of necessary. Polished off the last one as it just developed in a gross brown. Going to put it through the same routine I used on the Shig (chicken breast and sirloin forcing) with the hopes of achieving a more pleasant look. In this circumstance, I'm glad I've got some quality stainless knives to use on certain produce while the patinas build on my iron clad blades.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]