It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Mrknife Fanatic set...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:56 am 
Forum Moderator

Quick review on the Iminishi 400 since I was asked.

Very close to the Latte 400, cuts almost as fast, not as muddy, requires less of a soak, and it's thicker than the latte.

If I had to compare this to Shaptons directly, it cuts close to the 320 Shapton in terms of speed. It does take more water than the Shapton and isn't quite as hard.

I still think the Bester 500 is a bit faster, but I like the feedback and resulting edge from this better.

The Iminishi 400 doesn't seem to suffer from dishing that bad IMO, unlike the Bester and Latte which did dish a little (mainly because they release abrasive faster).

I set a bevel on HAP40 without much fuss, and it moves on to the green brick without much trouble.

Outright as a 400 grit stone it gets an A- rating, but when price and the large size are taken into account it's a crazy good value IMO. The only downside I see to this stone is that I wish it had a little more feedback and maybe a little more mud, but then again it's that characteristic that makes it dish a bit slower. The ceramic abrasive keeps cutting and it's still a fast stone.

Just to rate other stones for comparison, I'd rate the Bester 500 A- as well. It's a fast stone, but the resulting edge takes longer to clean up and it takes a lot of water to keep running. Other than that it performs great.

Shapton Glass 320 gets a solid A rating. No soaking, great feedback, fast cutting. I'd give it an A+ if it cut a bit faster, but then again that might change the other characteristics and the consistency, which is something Shaptons are known for.

I'm not even sure what stones I'd give an A+ rating to. There's a few that come to mind..... maybe we should start a thread?

Anywho, I'm happy with this Iminishi 400, I think people are going to love it. Please ask any questions if you have them! :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:01 am 

I too am a fan of the Imanishi 400. So far, as I haven't had it long, its performed well. I'm still of the opinion its more suited to single bevel knives but in any case a good value.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:49 pm 

Imanishi made the Latte to so they could be very similar stones.

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2