It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:54 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: First time using Japanese stones
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:19 am 

Hey all,

I've finally gotten around to using my J stones. I have a Latte 400 and a green brick that I've had since last summer. The knives I sharpen are only for home use and I'm no chef lol. The nicest knives I have are an 8 and 10 inch Victorinox Chef knives. That's all I really need for now... That's what the boss says anyway haha

So, I practiced on a cheap Faberware Santuko to get the feel. Let's just say it came out sharper than it started ;)

When I got to the Vics I seemed to make some gouges in the green brick on the edge. I'm not sure if I was using too much pressure or angle was not right or a combination of the two. Any ideas? They came out sharper but nowhere near what they should be.

Matt

Post subject: Re: First time using Japanese stones
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:44 am 

Freeborn Man wrote: I'm not sure if I was using too much pressure or angle was not right or a combination of the two. Any ideas?

Welcome aboard!

Likely a little of both. You don't need to use much pressure on the stones. Its natural to think more pressure will do the work faster. But that isn't the case. Let the stone do the work. Keep your elbow and wrist parallel to hold your angle consistently. Staying relaxed while sharpening is really important. Tensing up and overthinking what your doing is counter productive. Practice practice practice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:26 am 

Agree with Pete, probably a little of both. Take your time and work slow for now. A few edge trailing strokes or stropping on your 2k my give you a better edge. Don't forget to deburr.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:27 am 

Also remember it should be sharp coming off of your 400 grit stone. Enough to cut paper at least. You also want to round off the edges of your stone with whatever you are using as your flattening device. If not use 400 to round off edges of the 2k stone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:47 am 
Forum Moderator

Gouging a green brick is a sign of lack of precise angle control. It's one of the first stones I gouged. It is softer than other stones less easy to gouge like Shaptons. Try edge trailing strokes for a bit intil you gain a bit more control. Steeper (more obtuse angles are more likely to gouge a stone). This is not a criticism of the stone as there are many good softer stones -Superstone 10k, chocera 5k Nubatama 1200 Nubatama 2k black ume, several natural aotos, natural Ohmuras, etc.

Using less pressure and less speed will also reduce the propensity to gouge stones and also give you better edges too as you will also have more precise control of burr generation.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:01 am 

Thanks for the welcome!

I kinda figure I was not doing it right. I guess I watched Knife Fanatic one too many times and thought I was a pro LOL.

My pocket knives will get to be guinea pigs for the next few rounds.

Thanks everyone for their input,
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:06 am 

YMMV, but I think it is a common sentiment that smaller knives are harder to hold a consistent angle on. That is not to say you should not start with pocket knives, just know that you may actually find them to be a steeper learning curve than a larger knife.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:42 am 

Always celebrate the success. Any time you get the knife sharper than it was, that's a good thing. Focus on learning from and being better with every knife; you'll see rapid improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:44 am 

Look up MrEdgy on YouTube. He has some very good videos. Carter Cutlery and Jon Broida have some good videos too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:06 am 
Forum Moderator

It is a soft stone, but once you get better angle control you won't really think about it again.

Just did another video with the "knife fanatic" combo using 2 knives, about to upload it's still coming off my camera as we speak.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]