It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser Voodoo or AS
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:06 pm 

Is this knife for home use? The 100$ Kohetsu Blue would be a good budget knife. A taller blade height is essential for fast chopping. But if you are a home cook who is going to prepare good food at a more leisurely pace the smaller and less tall blade would be just fine and more economical.

I don't think you need to pay the extra 30 dollars if you won't use the blade design to it's full potential. The extra 30$ gets you a little more knife and to some professional chefs who frequent this site, a little is a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:38 pm 

I find a taller knife a little safer. If I'm cutting when I'm a little tired, sometimes my grip will loosen. A taller knife has more room before my fingers get in danger.

Of course, the real answer is I should put the knife down. But we all sometimes do stupid things.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:13 am 

I have both the 210 Kohetsu blue and 240 AS laser. I handled the Kohetsu 240 AS, but didn't put blade to board.

The western handled Kohetsu 210 blue(AS version is ground the same, but with wa-handle) is a laser of a knife. Overall it's a very thin blade. The grind has a slight hint of convexing, but is basically flat ground. It just flies through ingredients like all true lasers do. It also has the same issues with things sticking to the side of the blade that all lasers suffer from. There is no true flat spot in the profile. It is a slow continual sweep from heel to tip. Balance point is Right on the front edge of the handle. Handle is nothing special, but the f&f is pretty good. Actually much better than I expected for a $100 knife. My only complaints are slight and personal preference sort of things that may or may not apply to you. I would like the blade a few mm taller. I prefer to use a regular pinch grip and a shorter blade like this forces me into a high pinch. Brace yourself to laugh at me, but the handle to blade proportions are not aesthetically pleasing to me in person.

The 240 Kohetsu AS has the same laser style grinds and profile as the 210, but it's taller and the spine is thicker. The weight, spine thickness and feel in hand put it closer to a midweight than a laser, imo. It should preform really well, but like I said earlier I didn't get a chance to put blade to board. My only complaint is again due to my personal preference and may be irrelevant. The wa-handle is installed right up against the maki. I prefer more space between the heel and handle. I understand that Mr. Richmond has the handles installed the way they are as many see an exposed maki and think it is a factory defect.

The 240 AS laser despite the name is actually the least like a true laser out of the group. The spine is quite a bit thicker than any of the Kohetsu lines. It is thicker for the entire blade except right before the edge. They are very close, but the AS laser may be just a bit thinner behind the edge. The profile has the classic Richmond flat spot for push cutters. The grinds on the laser are very impressive. The convexing really helps with releasing food compared to a laser. It's not completely non-stick, but it is on the upper end of food releasing grinds I have tried. The tip is nice and thin. It flies through ingredients just as easy as a true laser. I thought the handle was a little under sized when I first saw it, but it feels great in hand. The handle has been installed further back which I greatly appreciate.

Is the AS laser worth $30 is subjective and will vary from person to person. If you are looking for a low cost laser type knife with no true flat spot go with the Kohetsu. If you would like a midweight with a great grind and the classic Richmond flat spot go with the AS laser. Both knives are great values for what you are getting. Yes, I did just say a $200+ knife is a great value for the money :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:30 am 

SteveG wrote:I've been testing an AS Laser 240 Gyuto loaner
Image Yuki compare/contrast to AS laser video, Please!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey Mark - I would be happy to do that, but it won't quite be a direct comparison, since I have the 210 Yuki. I can illustrate the general differences that should apply across the Gyutos.

That's a very well written summary of the characteristics on those knives, BTW.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:16 am 

Thanks for the replies and the write up Mark.

I would be using it at work on the line mostly slicing beef and fish along with the additional chopping and cutting of vegetables when the prepped stuff runs out. (Always) :).

I have Globals right now but really I'm looking for something to baby and take care of but can still do work. The Kohetsu Hap40 will be an option for me when it is a available in a non western handle.

I almost never rock cut as I tend to trail my pinkie and just overall cut myself more doing it.

About to buy a house so multiple knives are off the table for a while.

So I haven't decided yet but I would like you to keep those video reviews coming because I think I have watched all of them and some multiple times.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:26 am 

I would like to add that I will be buying multiple knives here in the future and I love looking at the "new arrivals" and seeing great deals.

I have been all over the net and would say you have the best prices and selection. For people who work in the industry "word of mouth" is some of the best advertising you can give/get. I have already suggested a couple others to check out the site.

Cooks are expected to put out our very best every single time and you seem to be following that rule and thus the popularity is justified. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:40 pm 

I can chip in here(no pun intended) 8-)
I have the Richmond Laser AS Suji in 270MM with a custom Matt DeLosso handle
I also have the Kohetsu HAP 40 Nakiri. with a western handle.

I am a home cook, so my needs and requirements are very different than you guys who work the line each day.
Any one of you puts more use on a knife in a week, than I do in a year.
I have used both knives.
OOTB I felt the edges just needed some refinement.
Both were stropped on a 8K stone, then balsa/compound, leather/compound, and bare leather.

I posted a review on the Kohetsu in the review section. Check it out.
It cuts like a friggin laser, however for you pros, it's a little handle heavy, I wholeheartedly recommend HAP40
but I think you guys should wait for the 240MM gyutos to get here, and maybe the WA handled ones at that.

The Suji is absolutely the finest slicing knife I have ever used. I cut some pork over the weekend. Like Buttah!
It's deep enough for some Gyuto duties in a pinch. So as to versatility the nod goes to the Richmond
Aogami Super is a time honored blade steel, HAP 40 is one of the new kids on the block.
Edge retention? From what I see HAP 40 is the winner.
Easy to sharpen probably the Richmond AS
Oh I could go on and on. Each knife is a great blade that I am glad to have.
All of you have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best choices for your environment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:17 pm 

i more vote for the Richmond

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2