It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: diamond plate questions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:50 am 

I am ready to order a flattening plate for my waterstones (shapton pro 1k and 5k). the atoma 140 is out of stock, any eta on it? would the atoma 400 suffice or would I be better off ordering the dmt xxc or the generic diamond plate? thanks

Post subject: Re: diamond plate questions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:50 am 
Forum Moderator

If you are just using this to flatten stones and nothing more I'd recommend the DMT XXC, that's what I've used for the past few years and have no complaints. If you plan on actually setting bevels with this then the Atoma will indeed last longer. The DMT is perfectly capable of setting bevels and doing repairs just like the Atoma but will not be as fast or last as long.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Although I can't confirm the Atoma attributes (never had one), I can second Shaun's XXC comments. I've had one for a very long time (six years, maybe more) and it still flattens my stones quite well. I don't use it much anymore for repairs (belt grinders are much faster), but it did that job as well for me for a long time. Well worth the price.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:43 pm 

sounds great, thanks guys

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:38 pm 

Personally I think the atoma 400 would be the better choice for finer stones such as the 1k and 5k. My $0.02

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:39 pm 

Jason B. wrote:Personally I think the atoma 400 would be the better choice for finer stones such as the 1k and 5k. My $0.02

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

I must agree as well, the 400 would be better for those stones, but if you wanted to add a coarse stone to that setup (220 or 320) then coarser diamond would be a better choice... lol, I love these threads.

So, if you plan on getting another coarse stone in the future then buy your diamond plate accordingly. :)

(for those who are new to this kind of thing, you always want your diamond to be coarser than your stone for lapping. If the stone is coarser than the diamond it will wear the diamond out much faster.)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:17 pm 

I do plan to add a coarser stone but if I got the atoma 400 that could act as a coarser stone then possibly pick up a 500 to clean up the diamond scratches? does a person need a stone coarser then say 400 or 500? I mainly sharpen my own knives and a few for family and friends. I did however start a new job andthere are some awfully dull house knives there (dexters). I aattempted to sharpen 1 but decided my 1k stone was more valuable then the 6 dull knives lying around. I suppose the atoma 400 would work great on those knives or would it eat them up too much? they have either been previously sharpened by a "service" or by some sharpener of the non human variety. my stones arent dishing much but my 5k (pro) seems to be glazed over. it has had much less use than my 1k. seem normal?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:17 pm 

The 400 would go well with the stones you have and be great for settng bevels. I test drove a 400 a while back and was amazed at it's cutting speed, blew away my DMT XXC and the finer scratch pattern was easier to clean up. IIRC, I jumped straight to a 1200 sigma stone without issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:10 pm 

thanks jason b that is solid advice

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]