It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Crankin, part 2!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:30 am 
Forum Moderator

Ok, it's been a busy few days!

Started grinding the tang down to convert an Artifex into a Wa handle style!

Wa style blade with a buffalo horn roll and a piece of stabilized Maple Burl:

I'm thinking of a Red/Yellow/Red/Yellow/Red spacer between the Buff Horn and Maple? Or should I do a Red/Yellow/Red instead, or just red?

This is what else I have been working on! 13 more Artifex!! Yesterday, I cut out the blocks to rough shape and split them. Today I flattened them, epoxied the liners on (some red, some yellow liners), drilled the holes for the copper pins and mosaic pin, rounded/finished off the front of the handle, prepped (cut and radiused) 4 pins per handle and epoxied 13 handles on to the blades! Phew, it was a busy day!! These took a bit more time than usual because the liners had to be done before I could drill and because the tangs are hard, I couldn't drill thru them with the equipment I have, so I had to cut 2 shorter Mosaic pins and install them on each side of the handle, and also align them so they matched their orientations! I start the work today around 9am and finished up around 730pm, after working 1130pm-0730am last night into this morning. Now it's time to relax and then go to bed!

So we have 14 Wood handled Artifex in the works (1 Wa, the rest Western style), 1 USA Camo Artifex, and I am doing a Water Camo Artifex, either a traditional Camo or Traditional Camo with Blaze Orange added in to the block, and another Laminate, still deciding what colors to use. Good thing I have a 9 day vacation coming up!

Post subject: Re: Crankin, part 2!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:45 am 
Forum Moderator

Nice taz real nice. You are a master with the wood! Peace jmbullman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:00 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks! And I get to sharpen these, too! Gonna have some JNat fun with that!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:02 am 
Forum Moderator

Go for it man!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:56 am 
Forum Moderator

TAZ <> Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:49 am 

Looks good taz. Can't wait to see the lineup when you're done!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

USA Artifex vs the Wa Conversion Artifex:

15 Artifex in the works!! The USA and WA are nearly done, the others are at around 180 grit on the handles and 320 grit on the tang sides. Still gotta do a lot of hand sanding, but they are coming along nicely! Gotta round out the fronts and taper them a bit more, clean them up, round the spines (choils are already rounded out), and then sharpen!

6 Amboyna Burl Artifex, these have bright yellow liners to contrast with the reddish wood, mosaic center pins and copper outer pins:

7 Maple Artifex, one may be Amboyna or another burl possibly?? These have red liners, copper outer pins and a Mosaic Center pin.

I gotta make some Orange/Cream Burlap Camo, and another batch of traditional Camo for the other Artifex. So I will have a USA Artifex, Water Camo Artifex, Traditional Camo Artifex and Orange Cream Camo Artifex as well as the wood ones!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

It looks like the mystery one is Amboyna, but more feathery texture than the eyes. Here are the 7 Amboyna Burls! I roughed in the blade bevels and rounded the spines and choils, so I need to do the sharpening, blade cleaning and the last couple coats of Tru Oil, then off they go to Mark!

7 Maples!

The Wa handle isn't epoxied to the tang yet, I may sharpen it first then do that. Still playing with the Wa handle, sanding and polishing. The Buffalo Horn had some small cracks where the white streaks were, so I sealed those with Superglue and repolished the whole handle up to the Micro Mesh 12,000 finish. As you can see the Wa handle is around 3/4" longer than the Western Artifex handle. Do you guys like longer Wa handles or should I trim it down a bit??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Awesome pics again! You don't know how to quit, do you? :lol:

I think wa-handles are generally longer, so if it still feels big maybe you just need to make it a little thinner.

Having a big handle on knife makes it easier to wield, but somehow takes away from the personality of the blade IMO. I prefer blades that are slightly forward heavy, but there are also people who prefer handle heavy, although I feel that crowd is the smaller of the 2. :)

Is that wa-handle on a 240 or a 210?

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

It's on a 210mm Artifex. It feels really nice and balanced in the hard. I made it a touch smaller and it's on it's way to CKTG with 14 other custom Artifex! Worse case, I can have the customer send it to me to make the handle smaller and I'll send it back to them and refund the shipping to them. I find many Wa handles are just too small for me; the Addict 2 wa handle is too small; length is great, but I often want a little extra meat to the handle for my paws! If it's too small, my hand cramps and goes to sleep sometimes. Most 210mm handles are a bit small for me where 240mm handles fit me much better, so I kinda make this like I would a 240mm Wa handle!

I got all 15 of these sharpened up in one day. I roughed in a bevel with a 180 grit belt on the belt sander and then went 300 diamond, 600 diamond, Beston 1200, Synthetic Blue Aoto, Rika 5K and finished the edges off on the Ozuka Asagi. Takes a wickedly sharp edge!! At first, I tried using all J Nats: Kyushu Ohmura, then the Amakusa Natural Stone. I got to the Blue Synthetic Aoto and saw there were scratches from the previous grits left. I brought out the Beston 1200 and a few minutes on each blade did the trick. From there I went to the Synthetic Aoto, Rika 5K and the Ozuka Asagi. I really like the J Nats on carbon steel when I am sharpening up an edge or touching up, but for a full on sharpening on stainless, I prefer the synthetics for the bulk of the sharpening! Those same J Nats on my Tanaka Nakiri and Fujiwara Terayasu Nakiri are like Magic!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next