It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening my old Chicago Cutlery chef knife.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

I have an old Chicago Cutlery carbon blade chef’s knife, at least 40 years old, which I inherited from my father. When I got it, it was in terrible shape, and not knowing much about knives, I took it to a local knife sharpener, who did a mediocre job, and left it with an uneven edge that needs evening out, and shaping, as well as sharpening. Now, I realize that it isn’t the highest quality knife, but the old Chicago Cutlery carbon blade knives were actually okay, especially for the price. I now have a much better chef’s knife (the one I purchased from you), but it seems the season to pay homage to my dad, and get his old knife put into the best shape I can get it. I know it won’t have the razor-sharp edge that my Goko does, but I would like to have the edge appropriately shaped and straightened out, and the best edge put on that I can get. Is this something you can help with? And if so, what would be the cost for such a service? I realize it would require more time and effort that just touching up a high quality edge already.

Thank you so much for your help, and I look forward to hopefully working with you on this!

-Noah

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Sharpening my old Chicago Cutlery chef knife.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Noah,

We have a sharpening service where we'll fix it, thin it a little and put a new edge on the knife for you. You can find it here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ckshsebyj ... 529mfldVVI

However, I think your knife might serve an ideal purpose as a practice knife for learning to sharpen. You could get a stone or two and have at it. Sharpening is fun and easy to learn and it gives me and others a lot of enjoyment. I tend to sharpen my knives when I'm stressed out (I love sharpening at half time during Packer games) and I think it would be a fine way to use your father's old knife and get it in shape.

Just a thought. If you want to try it we'll help you with tips and suggestions. Try a combo stone that has a rough side and a medium side on the other so you can grind the knife quickly and effectively. Something like this Nubatama combo would be perfect for you: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nubacost1 ... 52-rPldVVI

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well I'm only going to slightly disagree here :) It is regarding the issue of sentimental value. This supersedes the actual value of the knife. Just shining the knife up and putting an edge on it will loose some of it's historic sentimental value, which should be preserved. You will probably want to preserve it's patina unless there is significant rust also present.

So for this reason, I wouldn't use it as a practice knife, but optimize it's function. Get another cheap carbon steel knife for practice.

The stone Mark recommends is an excellent choice, but I would suggest you use it first on some true beater knifes until you get a handle on sharpening a bit before tackling your Father's knife. Then either get it tuned up initially or go for it yourself. If you have questions regarding technique, just ask.

Here's a knife I refurbished which was a woman's deceased Father's knife and one of the few items of his she had. It is an ajikiri - a tiny deba for small fish, also ~ 50 years old. Note that the patina and stains above the blade road are preserved rather than grinding it off. After I refurbished it, she passed it on to her son as a family heirloom.

---
Ken

Attachments:
ajikiriprecise.jpg
ajikiriprecise.jpg [ 51.18 KiB | Viewed 316 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:45 pm 

Ken,

Is your sharpening service the same service as that offered through CKTG? Or is it separate? I share your the idea that my father's knife is worth more for it's sentimental value than it's actual material worth. I would love to refurbish it in such a way that it has some beauty as well as function. Having said that, I intend to use it, and thus would like it in the best cutting shape possible as well (within the limitations of the blade itself).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:40 am 
Forum Moderator

My sharpening service is a separate service and varies more with the individual's requirements for their knife, including when required more technical sharpening procedures, natural stones, a wider range of grits and a wide variety of synthetic stones, etc. My PM box fills up quickly here so just send me some email at ksskss@earthlink.net or call at 209 612 2790.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]