It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:56 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Differences Richmond gyutos
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:25 am 

I am considering a new gyuto (probably 240 mm) and encountered the Richmond knives that may be good value for money.

However, there is a considerable price difference between the various Richmond knives and their full specs are not on the site. So I wondered can anybody tell me the difference between the Artifex and the Laser? I presume the latter is a bit thinner (how much?), but are their other differences that explain their price differences?

Also, I am leaning towards AEB-L (13C26) at the moment, but there are knives available in 19C27. The numbering suggests this is a newer steel. Does anyone know whether it has advantages over 13C26 in terms of its ability to take an edge and edge retention?

Post subject: Re: Differences Richmond gyutos
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:27 pm 

The laser is ground better. That makes all the difference in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

The laser is made in Japan and they do more hand work on the knives with better finishing and nicer grinds. The steel is pretty much the same.

19C27 is not newer but it is different than 13C26. It's more abrasion resistant steel. 13C26 (aka AEB-L) you can get a little sharper and is easier to sharpen in my opinion. It's a small difference between them but I'm interested in trying different stuff.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:19 pm 

Wait, so the Laser is 19c27? I thought it was the HD steel? Or is HD steel 19c27??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Laser: AEB-L
Ultimatum: 19C27
Ultimatum: 52100
Ultimatum: M390 (next week I hope)
Fanatic2: 52100
Fanatic2: AEB-L (this week I hope)
Addict2: CPM154
Addict2: 52100
Artifex: AEB-L
Artifex: M390 (next month)
Remedy:Cpm154
Remedy2: AEB-L (2 months)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 pm 

Thanks Mark and Eamon,

Sounds like the Richmond laser is a very good option for me. I have just an additional question regarding the knife steel, since there are so many options.

I have a paring knife in white #2 steel and I love it. It is very easy to sharpen and takes the keenest edge I’ve ever seen. So I’d like to pick a gyuto with a steel that takes as much a keen edge as white #2. However, white #2 requires careful maintenance and for practical purposes my new gyuto needs to be stainless.

If I hear you, AEB-L may be that steel and, for my purposes, better than 19C27. However, I have also very good experiences with VG10, which also takes a great edge. Can you tell me how these two steels compare in terms of their ability to take an edge?

And, since the Richmond knives (will) also come in M390, 52100 and CPM154, can you tell me whether any of these steels take a better edge than AEB-L?

(In case it is relevant for your answers: I am a pretty accomplished sharpener and have Shapton stones up to 30K.)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]