It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 5 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Need some help!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, seems to be a bit on the soft wide, which is too bad. I really liked the size/shape/round point and feel of the razor, just needs harder steel. I was thinking of re heat treating it, but with an edge that thin, I dunno if it will work. I may still try that and make it into a 5/8 or between 5/8 and 6/8! I got my scale pins and wedges in yesterday, so I am ready to redo the scales on one of the ebay razors I won!! Now I gotta figure out what I want to use for scales from my stash!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Been playing with a few razors lately! I picked up another full hollow vintage from Challenge Cutlery Co in Bridgeport, CT; company went under in 1928, so I know it's at least that old. Been working on lathering and angles and got the best shave so far last night after letting the hair grow for 3 days. Still some stubble on the neck/shin area, but MUCH better than the previous attempts!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:57 am 

Nice Tim!! Once you get that 'perfect' shave, you'll never be the same :) If I come across any more straights from your neck of the woods, I'll let you know. I've had a couple come and go over the last year or so.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Just looking through this thread. Time to go with some finer compounds than .25. Using 0.25 diamond, esp mono but poly as well is sharp but harsh. The CBN at tenth micron is both sharper and more comfortable. Beyond that the 0.050 and 0.025 poly becomes even sharper but does not have the sting or harshness associated with 0.25 diamond.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've been taking the blades to 1/4 micron CBN and then stropping a lot on a barbers strop. Would the 1/8 or 1/10 micron stuff give me much of a difference in the feel? After I strop and look at the edges in the eye loupe 20x and 30x, they are pretty damn clean looking to me!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:33 am 
Forum Moderator

" Would the 1/8 or 1/10 micron stuff give me much of a difference in the feel?"

In a word, yes. You won't see the difference in a 20x loupe or even under a scope since at this level, it is past the limits of resolution with light microscopy. But you will feel the difference. Skip the 1/8 and go to the 1/10th.

Page 5 of 5 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5