It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kikuichi TKC 210MM
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:47 pm 

OK. So I'm not a pro but I have 3 of you guys in my family. Wife gave me a 210 Kikuichi Warikomi Damascus a couple of weeks ago which I'm going to assume has a smilar profile to the TKC. Slightly off topic but bringing this up as a potential comparison point for folks.

Last weekend family's over and I'm prepping some crudite and making a tomato salsa. Family member looks over at me and says "since when did you learn to cut like that". I'd been trying to practice and perform like the instructional videos with what I now know to be less than sharp Henckels for years. One case where the knife is making a difference.

Got the same accordion cuts as Chip mentions above but - yeah - it's a 210. Love the balance, fit, finish, will be sharper once I learn to sharpen properly but could still slice a tomato with one hand. Would love a 240 but a little pricey for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:07 am 

Rob, would actually bet your Warikomi is pretty close in scale to the TKC. The TKC in 210 looks and feels like a much smaller knife. This sin't a bad thing at all, but, in my opinion makes a bit more a utility/petty/gyuto crossover. The TKC 240 is a different beast altogether as it shares almost identical stat lines and profile with the Haruyuki 240 (a knife that I think is an underrated badass). I'm guessing that may not be a coincidence. From what I've gathered, the TKC has been around for a while as an Ichimonji knife prior to the merger and has garnered some serious praise. From reading reviews that date back nearly 10 years, the only other knife that I can think of that has received same level of consistent professional acclaim over that span is the Blazen. While I digress, I think Harayuki/Akifusa probably modeled the SRS line after the TKC and tried to one-up with a sexy steel.

As it relates to the accordion cut issue, I'm now almost certain that it is a result of the blade geometry in this size (most notably heel height). Like you, my go to for about 8 years was a Henckels international ~8 incher. The knife is certainly a derivative of a french pattern, but is higher at the heel. Past couple of years been using the Henckels along with Shuns and Global classics which are also not short knives. So, for me, it requires a bit of re-learning as it relates to board contact with a shorter heel. Recently bought a Masakage and have fallen in love the massive flat of the blade and height, but this the spine taper/profile at the tip doesn't perform as well as a frenchie deriv. The flat on the TKC is actually more generous than the Haru (proportionally at least), so my initial conclusion about why the accordion cuts were happening was off.

Will say, if you dig the Warikomi, I bet the TKC will blow your mind. I'm learning that Adam and a lot of other members with highly refined knowledge of blades are right more often than not and their comments about the character of a mono-steel blade seem to be right on. Have a nice clad knife and a very nice damascus. Learning that the extra layers do reduce feel and dexterity (or at least the impression of dexterity). With the TKC, you can almost feel the texture of the produce through the blade. The Masakage comes close, but doesn't transmit what is happening when the knife is cutting the same way as the Kikuichi. By comparison, you feel virtually nothing with the Haruyuki (but the thing is damn smooth). To compare it to cars, it's like the Haru is a current model year german performance sedan like the RS7. Highly engineered, great performance, but the electronic steering, dual clutch gear box and augmented exhaust just aren't as visceral or precise as say, a manual, pre-2012 Porsche 911 with hydraulic steering.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:04 am 

The Warikomi line is much thinner than the TKC. Those suckers are super thin. The TKC is in the better steel, though, and has a little more multitasking capability. Either is a good choice, though I think I'd prefer the AEB-L version personally. I like Kikuichi pretty well across the board, though I find some of them expensive.

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2