It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:53 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Konosuke HD2 vs. Masakage Shimo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:46 pm 

The hardest thing to overcome when learning to sharpen, regardless of method, is the fear. Sharpening is not rocket science and most knives are harder to ruin than most would think. After most get started many wish they had tried it years before.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:06 pm 

Honestly I would just jump right into freehand. There are tricks you can do to teach yourself. Sharpie trick, a wood wedge at the degree you want, taped coins, dmt guide, etc. Then when you have muscle memory you take the training wheels off.

http://www.amazon.com/DMT-ABG-Aligner-B ... B00004WFUR

I used that for first couple of months (maybe 6) until I had say a dozen knives under me. At first I wasn't really sharpening a lot. Then I tried to sharpen 1-2 knives a week. i just use tape to lock the guides at the angle I want. I didn't know anything about angles at first and didn't want to spend 30-40 bucks on an angle finder. So I bought a 3 buck protractor and just used that to find angles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:09 pm 

I can absolutely confirm Mel's "fool proof" claim as a new owner of the Yuki Gyuto, Honosuke, and Shimo Nakiri - I AM that fool who was a complete newbie to the EP essential kit pluse the angle cube. I used it on some old knives to get the feel for it, and just mustered up my courage to sharpen the Masakages - hair shaving sharp, and a huge improvement right out of the gate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:20 pm 

celt16 < > That is saying something, since the Yuki comes with an excellent OOTB edge.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:12 pm 

Shimo just arrived. Knife is as sharp as advertised OOTB and sexy as hell. For a 210, the balance is great, about 3/4 of an inch in front of the heel . Makes it a bit blade heavy for a racquet grip, but absolutely perfect for a pinch. This is my first octagonal handled knife and was amazed at how natural a pinch grip feels. When I picked up the knife for the first time, without even thinking about it, my hand just slid into a pinch. I'll probably still use a racquet grip for rocking over larger ingredients, but very excited to put this thing through the paces.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sweet!! Let us know how she does on product. Good to hear on the pinch grip - I wasn't lyin' when I told you they're designed to best accommodate a pinch style grip :-).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:36 pm 

You did indeed! Making a variation of chicken fricassee for dinner with mashed potatoes so the knife should see a nice array of veggies.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:56 pm 

Wow, people aren't kidding about the reactivity of white steel. The damascus cladding reacted immediately to an onion (even more so than the core steel). Decided to dice a tomato for good measure afterwards and the acidity from the tomato almost completely eliminated the browning from the onion. Interesting stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:49 pm 

It's interesting, the core itself isn't that reactive, but the cladding is. I'm guessing it has something to do with the matte finish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Chip, reactive cladding is usually a softer iron material, which can in some cases react more than the core steel, at least initially. It's fun to see how the steel and cladding reacts to different products. Proteins can create interesting patina hues, especially poultry.

Page 2 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next