It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: ZDP-189
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:10 am 
Forum Moderator

The reason these knives cost so much is the combination of steel and labor. ZDP-189 and Cowry X are probably the 2 most expensive cutlery steels on the market next to real tamahagane. Not only that, grinding steel with this much wear resistance literally doubles and triples the time required to grind. Most of these steels can not be quenched very thin due to the possibility of cracking and warping inherent with carbon levels this high. I mean over 2% carbon is really considered cast iron, it's not even steel anymore LOL! But, anyhow, you are paying for a lot of extra labor and much more expensive material that's often very finicky to work with. This adds to the rareness as not many smiths are willing to work with these steels. So, it's a combination of things, not just the steel. If all steel was as easy to work as the next then we'd all be using REX121 and K390. (I wish) :mrgreen:

My personal experience with ZDP is that it is closer to HAP40 than anything else I've tried. You certainly notice a marked increase in stiffness at the edge compared to the "lesser, weaker, inferior" steels out there, because it is true, all of our childhood fantasies about ZDP are true, and it really is adamantium! LOL I had to, I had to, sorry! :lol: It's damn good steel, gets very sharp, and holds that "off the stones" feeling for a good while longer than most. That's the biggest thing I notice with these crazy steels is they don't roll for anything, so you keep that fine edge pointing down much longer. Also, back when ZDP came out the other powdered metals were still suffering from "carbide fallout", while ZDP did not, making it seem even better at the time comparatively IMO, adding to its mystique. Basically, ZDP really is an exceptionally good steel, but gained an even bigger reputation. Even though it has been out longer than most of the newer super-steels, it's still among the highest performance steels available today.

And on that note time for bed, I feel like my posts are making less and less sense as I go lol

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:06 am 

ChipB, terroir and a specific blade smith are kind of similar. Some may do well with a grape in an area with cold morning breezes and dry air like Pinot from SB and some might do well with ZDP, or they may not. Either way that steel ain't cheap. Hard as hell, hard to sharpen, great edge retention. It matters what your looking for. I personally prefer a knife that is easy to maintain.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:18 am 

I really see ZDP-189 popular in EDC, bushcrafting, and hunting knives. Those people usually rave it about. I don't see as much talk about it in the kitchen world. It would suck to have one ZDP-189 kitchen knife and need 1 set of stones just for that. I know my stones wouldn't do a thing to that steel. A lot of stones out there can't touch it.

White #1 from the finest blacksmith that's what I would go with. I would say blue has a better shot of any random blacksmith hitting a home run with it, it is engineered for that purpose. But White is the only one capable of the grandslam game over full count bottom of 9th we win walk off 5-4.

And along those lines is ZDP. Its engineered to be a very good edge holder and toughness but then its hard to sharpen. And it can be HR from 65 upto 67. From what I've read and seen ZDP could be one of the best Powdered stainless steels but to get the best out of it you better be an experienced sharpener with really good equipment.

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2