It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum rules

This is the forum to announce your sharpening promotions, write about new products you've tested, and show off your skills.
You can post your prices, link your Facebook and YouTube page, contact information, etc...

You can post 1 sales thread and bump it all you want and add new promotions to it.

To apply for your own subforum, PM any of the mods here on the board, they are free!

Page 3 of 11 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spending time with my friend, 52100 :)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

I just took the specs of the 2 most different blades and here were the specs (granted one of these I purposely made the handle a bit thinner)

2.184 to 2.25 mm thick
38.1 mm tall at heel
118 mm edge
108 to 114 grams
Balance point is on the first pin

I'm happy with a 0.07 mm tolerance in thickness, and the 6 gram difference in weight was expected with the handle difference. Otherwise height and length are exact. Grinds are extremely close as well.

It's taken me a lot longer to get things along than I expected (to be expected) especially with car and house troubles lately. These are shipping and more are being cut today. Busy busy bee.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Just weighed the afzelia burl (brown one) and the orange/black one. 113 grams and 114 grams respectively. :) I'm happy with that, these are shipping this afternoon (pending quick video first)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Finally, a video of it in action!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:56 pm 

Where's the Fernandez signature on the blade? :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

:) I'm getting an etching machine in about a week or 2, so the next ones will have etching. I'm starting a bigger batch of these now that testing is over, and all the rest will be etched. Wish I had money for all my toys right away but for now I'm forced to buy a piece at a time. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

So, I've settled on my 5 step normalization for this reason, and it may or may not be chasing ghosts, but here goes:

The Temps I use now are 1550, 1500, 1450, 1350, and 1250.

The first three temps are all in the critical range and will reduce any carbides if there were any, and erases the old pearlite structures. By going through 3 critical cycles (anything 1450 and above) you are completely reforming the austenite 3 times, which is kind of the concept behind multiple quenching. Each time the austenite reforms, it comes back a little smaller, but you do reach a point of diminishing returns (assuming you use the same temp each time, decreasing or increasing temps each cycle will change things).

So, 3 critical cycles will certainly erase all old austenite structure of the steel if there were any and get it ready for the 1350 "sub-critical" normalize, which has been shown to further reduce grain size. Austenite actually begins to form around 1330 but that's not hot enough for hardening purposes. The 1250 cycle is considered the anneal, and will relax the steel further and get it ready for quench. Mind you, we keep the knife above 700 degrees at all times between each cycle to prevent any unwanted structures in the steel. This all ensure I know the grain is as fine as I can get it going into the final quench. If you are going to go below 700 or so, then you want to quench it to reduce temp quick so that no unwanted structures form in the steel, it's the slow cooling that we are trying to avoid. I personally like to quench as few times as possible because each quench does put stress on the steel, so I generally just do final quench right after normalize instead of quenching right there and finishing later.

Okay, back to the oven, I'll be back in a little while. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

Keep it coming Shaun - great stuff. It's like attending a virtual knife makers class :-).

Given the small grain you're aiming for with this steel, what kind of edge refinement do you think these 118mm tall Petty's can take, or benefit from?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Got blades in oven and tempering. So much less warping these days too; paying attention to detail really pays off. :)

I can tell you that out of the box, this steel could probably do a simple anneal before final quench and still be really good steel. I'm aiming for something exceptional. It's not going to be the best steel on Earth maybe, but I hope it's the best 52100 you ever use.

You can sharpen this stuff to whatever you like, it takes refinement like no one's business. While sharpening I kept laughing because it felt like the edge kept mimicking the stone surface I was using. Granted, I was using Glass Stones, still, the 2k edge started to feel exactly like the stone in a way, just extra clean.

My personal favorite grit for 52100 has long been 4,000 grit. At that grit that steel is popping hairs with ease. If you've ever sharpened White number 1 and other fine grained steels, you'll know that they take refinement much faster than anything else. Take it wherever you like it though, I believe the knives I sent out shipped with a 2k edge, but they are ground fairly thin behind the edge and feel really sharp. This steel would make an excellent razor blade steel IMO, but most people are willing to put in the extra work to getting this stuff right. Simple carbon steels like 1084 make excellent razors. (I believe my Swedish razor is some kind of 1088? and it takes forever to strop due to the high hardness, but my oh my does she get sharp, mind numbingly sharp).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

Steel purity has a lot to do with why 52100 is so highly regarded.

52100 is ball bearing steel. Bearings take lots of stress and can't fail, they're a very critical component to many things, so they take measures to ensure a very high level of purity during manufacturing.

So, for this reason 52100 is kind of considered the "holy grail" of American steels. I'm looking for the most consistent product that I can right now. My steel source is consistent as are my results right now, so it's full steam ahead now to get some into the hands of other people.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Okay, back again.

Sooner or later the results of these methods will likely get called out for proof if they actually work or make a difference.

I fully plan on doing more in-depth tests with a device that can measure torque to see exactly in foot pounds how much it takes to break a blade. That was I can get accurate results on what makes a blade tougher. But remember, maximum toughness is not the goal, it's maximum toughness at a given hardness. I could simply anneal the steel and then it'll be super tough lol, but what I want to see is that one knife is tougher at 61 rockwell than another.

So far my tests have included grinding thin and abusing the edge to the point of chipping and breaking multiple samples off with a hammer to note increases in toughness. The goal is to be able to complete the job we will be doing without failure... and then maybe a little tougher for good measure. I've learned that 1 temper cycle is not enough. Also learned that pushing a steel beyond its capabilities will ultimately make it fail. But most importantly, I've learned that taking your time and doing things right with any steel great things happen.

The knives that I've made so far are able to go through joints in chickens with no problem and are still 61 rockwell and above. But, my opinion is not what matters, it's the feedback I get that ultimately matters.

Page 3 of 11 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next