It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:08 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Gyuto Advice/Recommendation?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:14 pm 

Nmiller: a wonderful endorsement! I'm curious: do you feel it is possible to attribute many of your feelings to the R2 steel (edge and retention), or would you say it is more about the knife over-all (balance, profile, geometry)? I realize most knives are all "complete package," I've just been very, very curious about R2 as a steel for a while...:)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:33 pm 

For me it's overall... good steel, good retention.. but.. man it's almost like putting on your favorite pair of jeans for me when I pick it up. So comfortable to work with, definitely a laser, but it's size makes it so nimble, I can't say enough about it.

I especially love the tip and front 30% of this blade, when making cuts to dice onions with.. it's just a phenomenal blade with great steel, handle, geometry etc...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:46 pm 

I would consider keeping the G2 however i planned to use the money to help recover from the new knife. Honestly i like that knife and wouldnt have a problem keeping it but financially its wiser not to i think...

Regarding the Takamura, thats very interesting to hear you reach for it most often. I do like the loom of it and it sounds quite promising. Also the fact that its $80 less than the HD2 is a major appeal.

I get the impression that you reach for it more than the Kono for example because it just feels better? Its the totally package of geo, weight, sharp etc? Just curious to know more regarding why you grab it over the HH.

Also what specific makes it better than the HH to you? This could of course be sonething like i like the handle better or it fits me like a glove but im interested as to why...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you plan on selling the G2, yes, that might change things a bit. I can tell you the Takamura R-2 will flat out SMOKE the G2, both in performance and in edge retention - and it is less expensive. If you're more comfortable sticking with the Yo handled platform, then the Takamura might be the best choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:22 pm 

Even with a Yo handle... the Takamura is well balanced. It literally just "feels" right when I pick it up at work. Everything comes together in this knife.
Wonderful all around, do I like my Kono? yes... but when they're both out I pick the Takamaura... For me like I said it's like putting on your favorite pair of jeans... it just feels good to work with and hold.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:47 pm 

That is a very good description that it just feels right.

I have no opposition to a wa handle but have always used yo/western in the past so i know they generally work fine for me. Thats not to say wa wouldnt be ok but just as a point of reference.

Also, the comment on the Takamuras having slightly smaller or smallish handles might be good for me. The tojiro dp's are a bit big, not uncomfortable but definitely on the large side for myself.

Additionally the balance comment is useful in that i find the Tojiro to be a bit more handle heavy they i would prefer. Its not bad just something i notice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:46 am 

I have never held a Konosuke so I can't compare, but I second Nmiller's love for this knife. It just does everything right, super light, super nimble, feels completely natural in my hand. Great fit and finish, holds a wicked sharp edge for a very long time and the tip is a marvel. A true laser in every sense of the word. Food drops off it readily even though it is so crazy thin that there's not much room to convex it. The convex is there, though, and very evenly done. Then there's the price. In my opinion it is a great buy at full list price of $235. At $175 it's got to be one of the very best buys on this site. The money you save can go towards some sharpening gear or your next knife.

My other 210 is the Richmond Laser AS, another very highly regarded knife, but I will confess that as nice as the Laser AS is (and it is nice - I can see why so many people rave about it) I really have to force myself to use the Laser from time to time to justify the money I spent on it. I'd just much rather use the Takamura.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:08 am 

Ok guys, to throw another wrench or two into this I have found 2 more knives I think are worth considering. I was wondering what you guys thought compared to the HD2 and the Takamura.

Gesshin Ginga WA Gyuto Stainless 240mm
(I know this is from a "competitor" but it seems like a very nice knife. I have talked to Jon a few times and he is stand up guy plus the knife comes with a Saya along with rounded spine and choil)

Sakai Yusuke 240mm Swedish Stainless Wa-Gyuto Extra Hard

On a couple other forums I have seen these talked about in similar context as the HD2 and that style of knife

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:18 am 

The Kono, Ginga and Yusuke are very similar knives compared side by side in profile and statistics but I would go with the Kono just for the HD2 steel. That sets it apart from the the other two.

Page 4 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4