It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:31 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Compare the Konosuke knives please
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

Regarding knives, how would you compare the Konosuke HH / HD with the Takayuki G3? do they both have convex grind? which of them holds the edge better and prevent wedging? im not 100% sure that i like thin spine over thick spine but what i concern is wedging or sticking to food and i do quite a good amount of precision cut and i feel thinner blade can do a better job than thicker blades, that could be my illusion. if there is a way to prevent or reduce reactivity on food, i would love to go for a good carbon knife as well. Regarding stainless clad carbon knives, is it really a problem when i sharpen the knife to the point where the clad meets the core? if i does, how should i fix it?

Tommy

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Compare the Konosuke knives please
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

With the cladded knives (or any knife!), you have to thin the blade as you sharpen, so you will be removing the cladding as you work your way up the blade. Most people get scared of this because the knife won't look as beautiful, but if you work up to a higher grit, it looks OK. If you don't, the blade behind the edge will get thick pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:29 am 

Thank you taz,

Do you mean that you always thin out your blade whenever you sharpen your knives? if you do, which stones do you used to thin it out?

Do you have any suggests for my other questions?

Thank you very much

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:29 am 

Thank you taz,

Do you mean that you always thin out your blade whenever you sharpen your knives? if you do, which stones do you used to thin it out?

Do you have any suggests for my other questions?

Thank you very much

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

I haven't handled the Kono's or the other knife, but they should all perform pretty well. I'm not sure if the HD or HH will hold an edge better than the G3 or not, or how they are ground. I know the Kono's are known to be "Lasers" and are very thin, so they shouldn't wedge much. Sticking to the blade is due to the grind; if the blade has a good convex grind on it, food should release OK. The problem with the thinner blades is that there is less material to convex, so sometimes food may be more apt to stick. Again, I haven't handled a Kono yet to see how it does in that regard! Some blades will stick like crazy, other blades won't. The finish will also change the stickiness of the food to the blade. My Kikuichi Carbon gyuto has a good patina on it and potatoes stick horribly to it. I reground a Tojiro ITK to a full convex and went up fairly high on the sanding belts and food stuck pretty good. I went back down a belt or two and it releases food better now.

You can either sharpen a few times and then thin behind the edge as the blade behind the edge gets thicker and doesn't cut as well or do it a little bit each time you sharpen. Depending on how much you need to thin, you may be able to do it with a fast 1000 grit stone each time you sharpen or you may want to drop down to something coarser to thin if you only thin every few sharpenings. You basically thin the blade behind the edge and bring it to each grit you sharpen at, say 500, 1200, 5K so it will kinda match the blade bevel. I can usually touch up the blade edge on a Rika 5K if I need to (other people use a strop for touch ups) and reduce the amount of full sharpening that is needed, depending on how much you use the knife. I only cook at home, so I may go a few months with just touch ups and really sharpen fully once or twice a year, so I usually thin at that point.

If you go carbon, you can force a heavy patina on the blade, which will reduce it's reactivity a good bit, but it may still discolor foods. Stainless generally won't discolor, I'm not sure about the HD and how it will react to acidic foods since the steel will discolor. I have had onions turn brown when using a new carbon blade, but haven't noticed it as much since the patina started. You could also get a Clad blade, like a Hiromoto AS or Kanehiro, which have a carbon core and stainless outer panels, so only the very edge will patina/react.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:22 pm 

thank you very much Taz, i cant afford to get food discolored. do you have any recommendation on a good stainless that holds great edge with convex grind? i was thinking abt getting carbon and force patina but since you said it's still discolor food then i have no luck with carbon.

Regarding Sharpening stones, i have a mixed review/suggestion. I really like glass stones because it's hard and cut fast but then i have been advised to not use it if im not an expert. What is your opinion? i have a set of super stones but it's quite soft and im looking to upgrade my stones as well. im looking for stones that are hard and cut fast. would you be able to recommend a set from coarse to fine. i sharpen every week though.

thank you and regards.

Tommy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

One of the Richmond Artifex or Laser, or Kono HH would be one of my choices. For stones, get the 5 piece starter set with the Bester 500, 1200 and Rika 5K with the deburring block and loupe. I have all of those I bought seperatly at one time except the Bester 500. I have all sorts of synthetic stones and got into the Naturals recently, too and I still like the Bester 1200 and Rika 5K for sharpening tasks. They live in my stone water bucket and are always ready to go!

Or you can go with a Amakusa, Blue synthetic Aoto, Ozuka Asagi Koppa and then get a chosera 400 or Bester 500 for the coarse stone if you want more Natural type stones. The Blue Aoto is a mix of natural and synthetic materials.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 am 

thank you very much Taz, this is not an easy task, i was originally looking for a knife and ended up with a set of knives and stones that i really want to up grade.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]