It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:10 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Difference between blue 2 and white 1 steel.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:16 am 

I would say the steel doesn't matter you are comparing 2 quality steels. Geometry, profile, weight, and handle are probably better to figure it out first.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:49 pm 

nk7 wrote:Cheers Rick

A thin grind and is something I do look for, would you say the White #1 would get thinner behind the edge than the Blue #2? Even at the tip of the blade?

Thinness of grind and type of steel are independent of one another, at least at the practical thicknesses we are talking about. I'm sure that once you get on the atomic level the blue steels are less svelte. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:19 am 

whosthebestcop wrote:I would say the steel doesn't matter you are comparing 2 quality steels. Geometry, profile, weight, and handle are probably better to figure it out first.

I see, so steel is no longer in consideration. But it seems there are more who have bought that particular Blue #2 than the White #1 variant. What do folks on this thread prefer between the two knives I have linked?

Weight wise they are both similar. White #1 clocking in a bit lighter.
Profile - From what has been said Blue #2 has a slightly longer flat spot (not sure how much more), than the White #1 (maybe the White #1 will allow for more of a rocking motion).
Handle - Both ebony? looks similar if not the same (again I have not had the pleasure of seeing it in person)
Price - $35 difference between the two. Not an issue
Geometry - Spine thickness on the Blue #2 is thinner than the White #1

Does food stick to the Blue #2 less maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:23 am 

Tall Dark and Swarfy wrote:
nk7 wrote:Cheers Rick

A thin grind and is something I do look for, would you say the White #1 would get thinner behind the edge than the Blue #2? Even at the tip of the blade?

Thinness of grind and type of steel are independent of one another, at least at the practical thicknesses we are talking about. I'm sure that once you get on the atomic level the blue steels are less svelte. :lol:

Because I am silly I didn't completely read the Blue #2 description on the site. Quote: "it outperforms Shirogami ( White Steel) with better edge retention and ability to take a more acute edge" - which white steel is this referring to? Both #1 and #2?

The comment on acute angle of the edge is interesting to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:38 am 

I'm not sure the ability to take a more acute edge is an accurate statement. Hold a more acute edge is more like it. Not that most people would notice.

Most importantly, you are comparing a gyuto with a funayuki gyuto. That will have far greater implications on usage than steel type.

Two extraordinarily knowledgeable people hold a similar discussion here.
konosuke-fujiyama-gyuto-white-2-vs-blue-2-t6794.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:55 am 

Cheers Swarfy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:14 pm 

To me it is more about the grind and geometry than it is the steel. Most would agree that AEB-L is a great stainless. I have an Artifex and a Randy Hauss Production gyuto. Even though they have the same steel the HHH Gyuto blows the Artifex out of the water because it has a much better grind and geometry. The same would be true regardless of the steels that these knives were made of.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2