It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gyuto Advice/Recommendation?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:28 am 

"I do think there are appreciable differences between the TKC and the Kono, even though I haven't spent time with the TKC (but have with some other western Kikuichis). The profiles of the knives are different, the heat treats are different, and the handle, balance points, and lengths are significantly different. It is true that the edges themselves are likely similar, and I agree on this point, but the overall feel of the knife in use is something that would be immediately obvious every time you picked one up."

I don't disagree with any of these specifics. But in aggregate, with the exceptions of heat treat and profile these differences pertain mostly to the handle, so my point was that the biggest point of differentiation between the two knives might be the handle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:30 am 

I agree down the line with salemj and will elaborate on his cutting board statements. At work, I use stiff poly cutting boards. Honestly, I like them a lot. They're low maintenance and durable. If you don't take an axe to them they won't gouge badly. And frankly, I don't feel like I sharpen terribly more often as a result. Cautious knife work is much more effective in lengthening edge lifespan. I like them enough I would use them at home, though in practice I go with my old wooden boards.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:58 pm 

Dear everyone,

Thank you all so much for the comments and points. One final comment on boards before i leave that topic, poly boards seem to be the best choice for me right now but i 100% understand they may not be or simply arent, the right choice for many others. All boards have ups and downs and im just happy to know i shouldnt be overly concerned with using them with any of these knives given that i use proper/smart technique and are conscious of it.

Ok knives again, regarding the comment on a workhorse knife. Here is how I see myself/want to end up

-3 Knife display stand (from Korin or others)
-Gyuto (240 or 210)
-Petty 150mm
-Bread Knife

Also i have a cleaver for the real heavy duty stuff.

This is my ideal knife set up, im a minimalist at heart and would love to have the least knives (granted very good ones) to achieve this.

If there is a knife im missing from consideration please let me know, the only other i could really think of is the Masamoto VG but again i really hope to find something very light and agile that just glides through food effortlessly

Last edited by SolidSnake03 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

I think poly boards are fine if you don't have a good wood board and/or don't want the extra maintenance involved w/wood boards.

You can minimize the wear and tear on your edges on poly boards IMO by using techniques which limit the amount of hard hits into the board. More gentle, board friendly cutting styles will go a long way towards edge retention. You can review the recent knife skills threads as well for discussions of technique.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:58 pm 

If you are going with the 150 petty I personally would go with the 240 gyuto.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:01 am 

If your even considering the Kono HD2 I would go that direction. It's a little short at 230mm if your somewhat unsure of using a 240 and more versatile than a 210. It's very light which makes it very nimble. Seems to fit the bill.
I like a 150mm petty and there are many to chose from. It's out of stock right now but my favorite is the Fujiwara Nashiji: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara4 ... 5-TiLGmVfA
I like the Tojiro ITK 270mm bread knife: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn ... 5-TabGmVfA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:18 pm 

Sorry to jump back in, but if you're still considering the TKC, you may want to consider Shaun's Remedy: it's a very good deal (I can only assume it is a 240mm)! I have no experience with the knife, but it is supposed to be Richmond's answer to the TKC, it is semi-stainless, it has a very similar profile to the TKC, and it has what appears to be a very nice handle. This one has barely been used, and Shaun knows how to maintain a perfect edge:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6804

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:24 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, i feel much better knowing how much of a factor technique plays (since mine seems to be decent).

Regarding 240 vs. 210, i was leaning to 240 yes because of the 150mm petty and because i feel that the extra length is really just a bonus. My 210 Global G2 does feel a bit short or small at times. Only reason i kept the idea of 210 around is if a really great knife that seemed to fit my preferences perfectly was only available in that size (takamura)

I appreciate the bread knife suggestion, i already have a Victorinox one that for $15 does a extremely good job. I plan to run that one into the ground before i really look for another.

The HD2 is looking more and more appealing...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Solid, you know, there's no reason not to keep the Global G2 around for those times when you want to use a 210. Getting a Kono HH or HD 240 will give you a longer knife and add some nice variety to your lineup. I think it's cool to have different knife styles ITK.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:39 pm 

For a home cook I'm going to endorse the Takamura. It isn't bad to sharpen, excellent fit finish. Outstanding grind, very light very nimble truly feels like an extension of your cutting hand.

I pick that up at work more than my Kono, Goko, and it saw way more use than my takeda before selling it. While it is a 210, it's a great knife especially if you're not doing mass prep. Even then I'd still use it on 50 pounds of onion / and 30 pounds of mushroom.

The edge it takes is outstanding, it has excellent retention, I just LOVE this knife. I have a Kono HH, it's great I love it but when they're side by side... I just love using the Takamura so much, so my hand just wants to hold it.

It's got a great out of the box edge, not difficult to sharpen. However I do take it up to a 6k shapton glass and it WILL bite into boards, wooden and poly alike. It's kind of nice you're like chopping and like oh.. this thing is so scary sharp it's sticking into the board, of all types. I Love this knife.

Page 3 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next