It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: aebl vs blue#2
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:46 pm 

So I am starting a new job and space is certainly an issue, I wont be reaching for my 250 any time soon. I am in the market for a 210 gyuto in either stainless or carbon at entry-level level pricing. In right handed and im pretty sure I'll be the sharpening guy at the new job. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to the kohetsu blue#2 and aebl artifex, but im open to suggestion for more no frills bang for buck performers. I picked up an aebl for a friend and sharpened it for him and really was pleased with the way the knife sharpens, but I keep going back to the kohetsu page. In curious if anyone has some pros and cons or first hand knowledge to suggest one over the other.

Post subject: Re: aebl vs blue#2
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:12 am 
Forum Moderator

Artifex will be a bit thicker behind the edge than the Kohetsu and may be a bit more durable, or you can thin it out a bit. Kohetsu 210mm is a true laser and performs very well, but is very thin behind the edge. The Artifex stock handle has better F&F than the Kohetsu handle, but I prefer the size/shape of the Kohetsu handle myself (I have bigger hands). Both will take and hold a very nice edge and are pretty easy to sharpen up. Kohetsu has a carbon core, SS clad blade, Artifex is all stainless. Kohetsu looks really cool with a dark patina :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:34 am 

I would consider what you will be using the knife for. Is it going to be a line knife or a prep knife? What will you be cutting with it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:45 am 

Line and prep on a small long cutting board where I'll be. I have an 8 in ikon for heavy duty implementation and it fits the area perfectly. I'll be cutting an insane amount of carrots, cabbage, onion, celery, potatoes, and I dont know what else yet. General everything with a better edge and lighter than the wusthof.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

J, if the carbon core isn't an issue, I like the Kohetsu.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:58 pm 

If you have an Ikon I would get the Kohetsu. The Ikon is stainless which will work great on the line. The blue #2 would be great for prep as you will be able to maintain the blade with no problem while prepping. Going into a new job I wouldnt want to risk a carbon core not knowing how crazy it might get on the line. It's nice not having to worry about your blade while on line. I use my german on the line but all my prep is done with a sharper j knife. if your Ikon hits the floor it will be a bit more resilient.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:27 am 

I love my kohetsu blue#2 210. I use it whenever I am limited in space and cant break out 240 or >. Def a laser and I fidn it pretty light for a western handled knife.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, both are great steels and if carbon care isn't an issue I'd pick based on some other criteria as the other guys have noted. Grind, profile, etc.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]