It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Collecting vs. Utility
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:53 pm 

I find it necessary to have multiples of the same size knife because some knives and steels are better suited to certain task even if they are the same size. Best example would be to have a 240mm Laser gyuto and a 240 workhorse gyuto. The same size and style knives for two different purposes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:20 pm 

No one has mentioned the entertainment factor. I can only speak for myself but I assume some others feel the same way.

I check the forum daily. I read new posts. I look at pictures of that new knife I want. Maybe some youtube. Maybe Compare the knife I want to others I see. Etc etc

If I spend 30 min a day on forum that's about 15 hrs a month. Let's just say I buy a knife every other month. That's 30 hrs of entertainment for a $100 to $300 knife and I get to use it.

Just another perspective.

El

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:28 pm 

Very solid point. I've been spending way more than 30 mins per day on this forum and generally researching knives and related topics. Given, JK steel is my newest fetish, so I'd expect my ardor to wane somewhat.
For me, seems like it is turning into a mix of all the above. Do I need every knife I've bought? Definitely not. I was cooking, at least by my standards, some pretty quality meals with far lesser steel for a long time. These are certainly luxury purchases, though do bring pleasure on so many levels. From researching and chatting to use and care (not to mention inspiring me to learn how to sharpen a blade which is a brand new skill set for me). Still, found a way to justify the various purchases and honestly believe each one will see the board pretty frequently.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:56 am 

snipes wrote:Chip - I don't feel the need for 3-4 240 gyutos along with another 4 210s. Now ask me if I felt the need to load up on Vieux Telegraphe 2010 even though I had 04-08 laying down already. :) I guess I'm arguing both sides of the debate.

I cannot resist. When I get up in the morning and there is good light (and I figure out how to upload images) I will add an image of my Kono HD2 next to my bottle of Vieux Telegraphe '04.

There is great joy in collecting, and it is even more fun when utility and collecting overlap! Love it, use it, drink it....slice with it. Life is to short to do otherwise....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:12 am 

La vie est belle because of such sentiment. Perfectly succinct and elegant way of conveying the pleasure associated with the use, consumption and appreciation of fine things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:14 am 

LaVieestBelle wrote:I cannot resist. When I get up in the morning and there is good light (and I figure out how to upload images) I will add an image of my Kono HD2 next to my bottle of Vieux Telegraphe '04.

My post here should help you with postings images:

post62858.html#p62858

An admin/moderator should make a sticky of the post be a lot easier for newbies to learn how to post pics.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:06 am 

Thanks for the tips, best cop. And thanks Chip for the sweet comment!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2