It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Recs for 240 Gyuto and 150 Petty
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:25 am 

Hi guys,
I'm going to get married soon and decided that I want to get my fiancee and set of nice kitchen knives. Originally we had a set of Miyabi Birchwood (SG2) on our registry but looking at it now, do I really need a damascus steel bread knife or one more set of kitchen shears? So I'll turn to you guys for help. I'm the type of person who would like to buy something once and not have to think of whether the grass is greener on the other side or not. Would prefer carbon but would like something clad in SS as I don't think my fiancee would want to take care of something carbon. I like a looker (damascus steel) but if it comes down to it, I'd rather have performance and edge retention.

1. Are you right handed? Right
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) 240 Gyuto and 150 Petty
3. What size knife are you looking for?
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Carbon clad in SS
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Japanese
6. How much did you want to spend? $1000 for both?
7. Do you know how to sharpen? No but willing to learn

Some knives I've been eyeing:
Takeda Stainless 250 Gyuto
Richmond Laser 240 Gyuto
Masakage Koishi 240 Gyoto

Post subject: Re: Recs for 240 Gyuto and 150 Petty
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Please read Melampus' post and his reference to maintenance of carbon steel: post63965.html#p63965.

If your fiancee will have trouble taking care of carbon, then a full stainless knife might be a more appropriate option. If you think she'll gravitate to using the 150 Petty more often, this might a good candidate for full stainless and you could choose a stainless clad carbon steel construction for the Gyuto. On the other hand, she might be a 240 Gyuto fan :-).

On the Richmond Laser 240 Gyuto you mentioned, is that the AEB-L Laser: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/laser.html or the AS Laser: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu24gy.html ?

Post subject: Re: Recs for 240 Gyuto and 150 Petty
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:43 am 

I second Steve's rec, consider care of a carbon knife and which way you want to lean to help narrowing down your selection.

Another thought, like a high performance car, high performance knives take TLC. If you are not going to put in quality motor oil at regular intervals, are not willing to part with some significant coin for tires then skip the Porsche and and get an ol' reliable Honda. Similarly it is hard to enjoy what quality cutlery brings to the table without sharpening. Consider adding some room to the budget for a few quality stones and perhaps some stopping gear and allocate a bit of time to learn to use it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]