It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your top 3 Gyuto w/ best geometry
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:12 pm 

I was just about to pull the trigger on a 240mm Sakai Yusuke "special thin" gyuto...Mark, if you're going to stock them and can offer this knife for less than $250.00 US i'll buy from you instead. Hope Keiichi isn't listening. :)

How long would it take for you to stock them approximately?

I'll start checking your website in 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

I'll start working on these right away.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

chefknivestogo wrote:I'll start working on these right away.

Ok, I'm in here as well - you are worse than the little red man with horns onna head and a tri-fork sceptre inna hand - I will wait once again.........

:)

PS: Make sure it is the "new" flatter version along the edge please.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:22 pm 

MadRookie wrote:
chefknivestogo wrote:I'll start working on these right away.

Ok, I'm in here as well - you are worse than the little red man with horns onna head and a tri-fork sceptre inna hand - I will wait once again.........

:)

PS: Make sure it is the "new" flatter version along the edge please.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

...with an ebony handle!!

MB...repeat after me "....must NOT buy!! MUCH NOT buuuy!!!" (my JamesT Kirk impression, Star Trek...no i'm not a Trekie). :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:37 pm 

MB,

I meant after you get this "special thin" Sakai Yusuke 240mm Gyuto. :) Which won't happen. Looking at the JP kitchen knife collection you already have. :)

We might not be able to order for 2-3 weeks. At least Mark is working on it.

And if you're not able to offer this brand/knife (Mark) please let us know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:14 pm 

Mark, The Yusukes really are special. Similar to Konosuke, with exceptional fit and finish. The handles are nicely tapered, and the blades are a little more polished. The packaging is top notch; some of the best I've seen in this price range... The extra thin is fum to play with, but not everyday practical.

My vote for geometry =

Masamoto KS (a hair over $300) White steel at its best; sleek profile.
Yoshikane SKD hammered ($250ish) Rock hard steel; built like a tank.
Moritaka KS ($230ish) same profile as Masamoto with a larger bevel, kurouchi finish, great AS steel.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:02 pm 

No Chop wrote:Mark, The Yusukes really are special. Similar to Konosuke, with exceptional fit and finish. The handles are nicely tapered, and the blades are a little more polished. The packaging is top notch; some of the best I've seen in this price range... The extra thin is fum to play with, but not everyday practical.

My vote for geometry =

Moritaka KS ($230ish) same profile as Masamoto with a larger bevel, kurouchi finish, great AS steel.

Hi No Chop,

Do you own a Yusuke? :)

I heard the Moritaka's have fit/finish issues. Not true? Or, was that with a certain batch of a certain series of their knives?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:28 pm 

Yes, I've owned several. I had a petty in the stainless, which I think is AEB-L, if I remember. I also owned a regular and thin gyuto in white carbon. All three were flawless. Very nice knives; a hair nicer than Konosuke (smoother, tapered handles, better grind and finish), but very similar overall...

I only sold them because I also owned the same blade sizes in the Konosuke HD, and realized I liked the semi-stainless the best.....

Moritaka is a "rustic" kurouchi finished knife; F&F is as good as should be expected for this style of knife. They come with nice rosewood handles. Some have reported grind issues, stating they've discovered holes along the edge. I have owned three Moritakas, and all have been evenly ground; no holes discovered as of yet. Plus, I would bet if you did find a problem, Mark would go out of his way to help...

The AS steel is wonderful; takes a very acute edge and holds it. It is very hard and can be chippy, so if your a rocker, as apposed to a pusher, maybe not for you. Moritakas also have a very wide bevel which helps with ease of sharpening, making it more forgiving....

The KS version I have is a terrific cutter; one of the best I've tried; up there with some much higher ended blades.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:53 pm 

And Moritaka's aren't expensive. Very reasonable for the type of steels available and the geometry of the knives. F/F...I've never owned one or held one. Might still buy one in the future. I have other knives I'm more into getting first. Like a 240mm Sakai Yusuke "special thin" gyuto some one mentioned on this thread. That is one damn thin knife. Didn't know it was possible. 1.6mm??

Nakiri: Konosuke Fujiwara 180mm (W#2)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

No Chop wrote:Mark, The Yusukes really are special. Similar to Konosuke, with exceptional fit and finish. The handles are nicely tapered, and the blades are a little more polished. The packaging is top notch; some of the best I've seen in this price range... The extra thin is fum to play with, but not everyday practical.

My vote for geometry =

Hi Chris,

How's NC treating you? That's our adopted home state. Per capita our highest sales in the country.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Page 5 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next