It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Edge Pro Essentials - new sharpening angle recs?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:27 am 

OK, an admitted nube to the Edge pro essentials, I used the Shaptons on all our junk knives for practice using the painted marks on the rod. The manual says they have changed their angle recommendations to 24 degrees for thick blades, 21 for cooking and sporting, 18 for Japanese cooking knives, 15 for thinning and 10 for serrated.

I've watched a number of the EP videos, and also bought the angle cube and watched a video on it. At the risk of offending the EP folks by second-guessing - I want to start sharpening my new Masakage Yuki Gyuto and Yuki Honsuke at the correct angles - assuming there is such a thing and recognize that at some point in time when I gain experience I may opt for different angles. Also a Shimo Nagiri on the way (shhhh, wife doesn't know yet) Should I stick with new EP recs, use sharpie to emulate as-shipped angles, use painted lines or some other technique starting out?

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro Essentials - new sharpening angle recs?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:05 am 

Do not follow Ben Dale's recommendations. He has produced an outstanding piece of gear, but I turn a hairy eyeball to much of his advice re technique.

Here's how I sharpen a gyuto:

1. Tape both sides of blade.

2. Draw a line perpendicular to the edge halfway along the edge. You will perform two stage sharpening along this line.

3. Zero angle cube on blade table.

4. Place knife on blade table. Position halfway line on right side of blade table to sharpen heel end, keeping edge parallel to blade table.

5. Set stone arm to 15.0 degrees at middle of blade table.

6. Sharpen heel end of knife, up to halfway line. Flip the knife and continue through the progression until the heel end is completed.

7. Position halfway line on left side of blade table to sharpen tip end, keeping edge parallel to blade table.

8. Set stone arm to 15.0 degrees at middle of blade table.

9. Sharpen tip end of knife, from halfway line. Flip the knife and continue through the progression until the tip end is completed.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:42 pm 

Rick,

Do you make an effort to keep the number of strokes consistent between blade halves?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:57 pm 

Nope. Never had a problem with any discontinuity along the halfway line, save for the negligible difference caused by the angle bias of the pivot being on the right side. The very tip and heel of the knife can exhibit some small asymmetry due to this bias. This would only be noticeable on a western knife with a wide bevel. Hardly noticeable at all on a thin J-knife.

I put 15 degrees as a bevel angle, and that's true for my white #2s. I use 12 for Aogami Super and 10 for HAP40. For 15 degrees to be valid for a Yuki the flat of the knife (above the 'shinogi' line) must be flat on the blade table. If the lower part of the grind is on the blade table you will be sharpening at a much more acute angle.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:14 pm 

I agree with Rick. The EP is awesome and the beauty of it to me, is the ability to put whatever angle I want on whatever knife I'm sharpening. The angle cube is a wonderful compliment to the EP.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:10 pm 

Thanks gents ... appreciate the advice

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]