It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:40 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 210mm wa-gyuto wanted.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Mark,

Looking for a recommendation as well as to know when some of these popular, out of stock items might be returning. I'm fine with waiting a few weeks for the right knife.

I already posted to the forum and received some excellent recommendations, but if anything in particular sprang to mind:

I'm looking for a right handed wa-gyuto, 210mm length, above 45mm width, carbon steel - though perhaps with a stainless outer shell, as long as it remains light, thin, sharp. Budget around $150-$200, though I'm willing to pay more for the right knife, as I want this to be my main kitchen workhorse. I'm fine with cleaning and wiping it down after every use, and would actually enjoy having a darker patina develop over time. Though it's not a deal-breaker, aesthetically I'd prefer something dark and rustic - something like the Takeda Classic, the Moritaka, or the Nishida, though the lighter handled Kohetsu with the dark ferrel is fine as well (but unfortunatelly, the white ferrel of the RIchmond Laser is a real turn-off).

So you have a lot of options here, but some are out of stock, and others don't have any reviews. My top choices based on initial research and reviews are:

Kohetsu AS 210 gyuto (out of stock) - when is this coming back?
Moritaka Supreme 210 Gyuto
Itto Ryu 210 hammered white #2

Perhaps most curious about this last one, the Itto Ryu 210 hammered white #2 - one great review and that's it, but it hits all the bases - it's gorgeous looking, exactly what I'm looking for in terms of both blade and handle, it's got a very nice width, wider than virtually anything else I've seen, balance point and thickness seem good. The video review also made it sound really comfortable for everyday workhorse use, and the width also seemed good for that (scooping, etc.)

How would you rate these three? Anything else I should know about?

Thanks,
Andrew

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: 210mm wa-gyuto wanted.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:26 pm 

I have a Takeda Sasanoha, a Moritaka Kiritsuke/Gyuto and Itto-Ryo Hammered 210 and I have to say I like the Itto-Ryo the best. Very impressive! Great fit & finish, great performance and great overall "feel".

Post subject: Re: 210mm wa-gyuto wanted.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah they're all good knives and different from each other. I like the steel and heat treat and handle on the Kohetsu. I like the blade finish on the itto and the fit on the blade is really nice too. The moritaka is hand made and really fun to use. I'm not quite sure when we will get more Kohetsu 210s. My wild guess is in about a month.

It sounds like you want the Itto Ryu and I encourage you to try one. I like it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]