It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:08 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Wide Gyuto Recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:41 am 

Hey everyone, I'm new here, so I'm going to ask for a recommendation. Thanks for reading in advance.

1. Are you right handed? -- Right
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) -- Gyuto (with enough of a curve for chopping)
3. What size knife are you looking for? 210mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Either. I have no problem wiping it down and cleaning after each use.
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Either. I've never owned a Wa handle, but I prefer a pinch grip, so I'd be interested in try one.
6. How much did you want to spend? $200 or so, tops
7. Do you know how to sharpen? No, but I'm a quick learner, and want to learn.

I haven't been cooking for a few years while we've moved across country and then done a year-long gut renovation. Finally looking to get back into the groove, and looking for a good, all around chef's knife. I used to have a (don't laugh) 8.5in Daniel Boulud Kitchen 8-1/2-Inch that I got as a wedding gift - never really liked it that much - a bit too huge. My wife had the 5.5in chef's knife, which I actually prefered. So that's why I'm looking for a 210 rather than a 240. But I'm a bit underwhelmed by how short these knives are - I'd really prefer something closer to 50mm and for chopping and general use (I'm 6'2" with large hands). It's not quite so important to have a large grip, as I may just use it pinch-grip, but I'd prefer something wider. Aesthetics don't really matter- I find all of these knives interesting in different ways. I'm willing to work to maintain it, but have been interested in the stainless-clad carbon steel. Honestly can't decide about the weight - I used to like heavier knives for the feel, but having used a friend's japanese knife, I got pretty excited about the feather weights as well. So I'm open there as well, I guess.

Here is a list to tear apart. Thanks again for any advice, opinions, etc.

Kohetsu Aogami Super Gyuto 210mm (out of stock, but currently my top choice)
Moritaka Supreme Series Gyuto 210mm
Hiromoto Aogami Super Gyuto 210mm
Kohetsu HAP40 Gyuto 210mm
Misono UX 10 Gyuto 210mm
Takamura Migaki R-2 Gyuto 210mm

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Wide Gyuto Recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:05 am 

First, welcome. Second, don't feel bad. One of my favorite knives is a Kiwi chopper that was $8.

I'm going to back track. Have you considered a santoku? A 210mm knife is around 8.25 inches and with a tall blade, as you want, you're going to have dimensions similar to the pictures I see of the Boulud chef knife. You did say you preferred, though you did not say liked, a 5.5 inch knife in the past and there are some fantastic santoku out there. If you don't want that extra length, there's no point in paying for it.

Edit: The Kohetsu SLD (link) is a full 49mm in height. And you would have to ask around, but the Goko santoku (link) looks pretty tall as well, though it is a bit shorter. Unfortunately, the knife line I always think of as being mighty tall, Takeda (link), is $60 out of reach. Bonus: There is a Kohetsu SLD in the close out section (link) that was used to make a product video for 10% off. Hopefully SteveG, who has handled more knives that just about anyone else in the country, can chime in here. My santoku knowledge is weak because I don't use them myself. But my experience in playing with a nakiri, the other parent of the santoku, is much the same as you in that 50mm of height is a good goal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:06 am 

I like my all around gyuto/chef/all purpose to be 240mm. But I also love my 210 cause often i might need something smaller for space. I also like a 165/180 if I am really cramped for space.

Since you value height how about the alternate santoku the Bunka. You will get the extra height I think 47-48mm but you will also get a finer tip something not on the santoku.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mashbu.html

I haven't personally used it but I am sure plenty of people on here have and Steve did a video.

Sold out but might be option to with your SS clad
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayubu17.html

Now if you wanted to stay exactly with the Gyuto profile then the GASSAN AOGAMI #2 GYUTO 210MM might be a candidate.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gaao2gy21.html

That gives you Blue #2 with SS cladding and it comes in at 53-54mm height. More workhorse then laser but thin at the edge. And it has that unique hybrid western/eastern handle thing. You would just have to check out the pics/video and see if it is curved enough for you personally.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:53 pm 

Yep. I prefer good height as well, for a bunch of different reasons. My recent 270 is 54mm at heel to spine. My Nakiri's are all around 52-54mm (aside from the Tanaka, which is ~ 45mm).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

If I'm interpreting your meaning on a "wide" knife to be a tall knife, you should take a serious looks the Gassan 210 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gaao2gy21.html, or it's little brother the 180 Gyuto. These are shaped a little more like Santoku blades. They perform great with tips that flow through product like onions VERY well. The Blue #2 core carbon steel sharpens easily and gets just stupid sharp. I really like these knives. The handle is a cross between a Wa and Yo and it's nothing special, but the performance is in the blade, not the handle. If I liked taller knives, I'd own a Gassan. They're a little tall for my personal preferences - that's the ONLY reason one is not in my knife drawer at home.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:10 pm 

Thanks for these suggestions. I think I need to head to a local store and try out some different sizes in my hand, as well as the gyuto/santoku thing, before taking the plunge.

I'd like to get a good knife that I won't want to upgrade for a while - something I can live with - but I think the difficulty is that I first learned to cook with really big, really heavy western chef's knives, rocking them, but I'm really not wedded to that style of working - it's just what I know. I was actually really excited to feel how light and nimble these japanese knives are the other day, it was just that the (lack of) width scared me a little. But chopping rather than rocking, I'm guessing it's less of an issue.

A 240mm is going to be too big for my small kitchen, but a 210 or even a 180 would probably be fine, so I'll look into some 180s.

Quick question - some of the santokus and gyutos look awfully similar in geometry (gyuto's fairly flat) - is there a reason people seem to prefer the gyutos so much more? What am I missing? thanks again!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:02 pm 

For what you're paying, you'll be getting a great knife. I can think of a few $200 knives you might never need to upgrade.

Santoku vs gyuto is mostly about the obvious element, the length. Having a 240mm or 270mm knife lets one work through a greater volume of product than a 160mm knife. Beyond that, the gyuto's tip is usually thinner as the result of the tapering of the longer blade. That allows for some versatility in cutting technique, but a santoku does have a best of both worlds thing going on. Plenty of people out there prefer a santoku for general use.

You will find yourself rocking most ingredients just fine with a 45-47mm knife, or even a santoku. You just have to, as with all Japanese knives, use a slightly more delicate touch. The only difference is that the santoku can't rock as high and won't be long enough to cut taller ingredients without a push cut.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:55 pm 

I too favor taller blades in the 160-210 range. I have: a Gassan @52mm, a Goko 210 @53mm, Wusthof Classic 8-Inch Wide @55mm and an Itto-Ryo 210 @50mm.

The Itto-Ryo is easily my favorite of the group and I just got it!
It's the best cutter - glides through food, has good fit & finish and has a great feel to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:52 pm 

Thanks all - it was a hard decision, but I'm going to take a chance with the Itto-Ryo 210. It's the right width - gorgeous wa handle, the medium weight and size seems like it would be a perfect fit for my larger hands (and maybe an easier transition from my previous clunky western knife), and I have to admit, I just love the appearance. I've heard great things about its sharpness, and even if it may not be the technically best, I think it will be a good first Japanese knife for me. Will post a review after a couple months of use! Thanks all!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:44 pm 

Very good knife made from an excellent carbon with some height, but it is 240mm. Richmond Addict 52100 http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riad52wid ... 5twJrGmVfA

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next