It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stone reviews!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

I got a chance today to work with some stones I recently got from CKTG. I got an Amakusa, Shobu San and a Kyushu Ohmura. I also got one of the Aoto's in my last order, which is a combination of synthetic and natural stone material. I started with a coarse diamond stone to flatten the bevel on my Tanaka Blue #2 Nakiri and a Fujiwara Terayasu White #1 clad Nakiri. I wanted to thin the Terayasu out a tad since I have never thinned it in the several years I have sharpened it. I decided to try to flatten the blade roads/bevel leading to the edge since I have never done that before on any of my KU style knives.

From the diamond, I went to the Kyushu Ohmura. It worked well and removed material cleanly, but was a bit slower than I thought it would be. It gets very muddy though, and this helps polish as you grind material away. Next, I went to the Amakusa, which is a 800-1000 grit stone. Got muddy, but felt really nice to work and worked pretty quickly on the blades. Left a nice scratch pattern. I moved to the Aoto and got to play in the mud. It gets nice and muddy and works slow, but that's because it's also polishing. It left the edges with a nice contrast between the clad and core steels (Blue #2 and White #1). The Shobu San was up next and it was fun to work. It's a narrower stone, but still worked really well and had a great feel to it. Very smooth feeling and refined the contrast a bit more and also put a very nice edge on the blades. I used the Shobu San to clean up the edges and then went to the Ozuka Asagi Koppa and used that to finish off the edges. I tried it on the blade roads, but it was slow cutting and cleaned it up a bit, but I wasn't too patient with it. As I progressed through the grits, it just made the deeper scratches from before that I didn't get out stand out more, so I wasn't concerned with the finish as much. The stones seemd to work smoother and left cleaner finishes on the Tanaka cladding vs the SS cladding on the Fujiwara Terayasu. I took the Fujiwara back down to the Rika 5K to work the edge a bit more and then back up to the Ozuka Asagi. I also worked the blade road on the Rika 5K and it did a nice job cleaning it up and really polishing up the harder core steel. It left a very nice finish on the harder steel.

I really enjoyed the Amakusa and Shobu San a lot!! The Kyushu Ohmura will work well for getting chips out of blades, but I am going to search a little more for another even coarser stone to flatten the blade roads a little quicker. The Kyushu Ohmura feels coarse, but seems to build up a nice mud and cut a bit slower than I was hoping, but this means that there aren't as many coarse scratches to take out with the finer grits, too! I would say maybe around 500-800 grit range possibly, but it finishes a bit finer when the mud builds up?? The 3 stones, plus the Aoto and Ozuka Asagi are my main jump into J Nats and I am very happy with all 3 of them!!

Post subject: Re: Stone reviews!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:02 am 
Forum Moderator

A next coarser natural stone than the Kyushu Ohmura is the Hirashima a truly coarse stone. You might also consider the 150 Nubatama or even go a bit coarser if necessary with the 120 60 or even 24 grit stones. IMO these are too coarse for a Nakiri and the 150 will do a superb job of reprofiling a nakiri. Then follow it with your naturals.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:15 am 
Forum Moderator

I got a Nubatama 150 a while back and like it. It cuts pretty fast, but leaves a cleaner scratch pattern than my 200-600 diamond plates I have. Haven't tried it on the Nakiri and other blades yet, just AEB-L and M390.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

I'm working with the Nubatama 150 right now as well. I like it. Fast as lightning and wears pretty slow for a low grit stone.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:14 am 
Forum Moderator

I haven't gotten a chance to use the Nubatama much lately. I figured out how to use my rotary platen to thin and convex edges :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]