It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:51 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Experienced cook/Inexperienced Knife owner
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:01 am 

As the title states, I'm an experienced line cook who needs to get into the knife game. I'm looking for a good entry level, work horse knife. I would buy a Global chef knife, but the handle is too small for my hand. I've tried a couple of gyuto's at work but none really stood out. I was thinking about purchasing the Richmond Artifex 210mm AEB-L Gyuto but want to check in with the forum first.

1. Are you right handed? Right Handed
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Chef knife w/o bolster or Gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 8"/240mm range
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Stainless
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Western
6. How much did you want to spend? $100 - $150
7. Do you know how to sharpen? No

Post subject: Re: Experienced cook/Inexperienced Knife owner
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:24 am 

The Artifex might be the only western stainless without a bolster. So i'm not sure if anything else can be recommended.
I would say if you went carbon it would only add a couple knives that are western without bolsters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:28 am 

When you say "no bolster", are you talking about a fingerguard, as on the Sabatier and Wusthof knives, or are you talking about the metal ferrule between the blade and the handle scales?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:37 am 

The Artifex is a good knife out of the box and a great knife if you want to learn sharpening. Zero frills and a great steel. The only problem is that it has ver broad shoulders, so it needs to be thinned out to be at its best. Out of the other knives that would come in under budget, think about the Fujiwara FKM. It's utilitarian, a decent steel, thin, and comfortable, though the handle is a little short.

Suisin's Inox gyuto is right in your sweet spot. I like them fine, though they are a bit dated.

I would consider the Masamoto VG gyuto. A bit outside budget, but I don't know anyone who didn't like theirs. Again, a touch dated. At the same cost is the Takayuki Grand Chef knife; I've heard good things from recent reviews on it. Of the two I would sooner take a chance on the Takayuki.

$25 above your limit is the real winner. The Takamura Mikage in R-2 steel is possibly the best knife for professional work. It's western handled and the design is nice. It's pretty agile and thin. And the R-2 steel used will stay sharp much longer than other steels.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Optimus, as others have mentioned, if you mean no heel bolster versus a metal handle bolster, then the Fujiwara FKM 210 is a very nice SS Gyuto. The Tojiro DP 210 is another very good SS Gyuto - it's handle is a little more substantial than on the FKM. They will both respond well to a ceramic honing rod like this one: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/id12cerodwna.html.

The Artifex has the nicest steel, but the edge is a tad thick OOTB as it's intended to be more robust. Still a good performer, but as mentioned, if it's thinned just a bit behind the edge, performance jumps up quite a bit.

I'd recommend starting with these entry level SS Gyuto's for your first foray into J-Knives. The Fujiwara will have the most forgiving steel at 58-59 HRC. Depending on your space restrictions and needs, I consider the Fujiwara FKM 240 to be a more versatile tool than the 210, with more blade height and a longer sweet spot for chopping at the heel. Only you know whether a 240 would be too long for your line duties. If you perform prep as well, the 240 would be nice to have.

If you don't sharpen and don't intend on learning, learn to use the honing rod for edge maintenance and fine someone who can sharpen Japanese knives with water stones. Don't use the sharpeners/companies that just throw everything on a belt grinder and don't have experience on these knives with water stones.

Better yet, get a starter kit and learn to sharpen - it's really not that difficult and you can keep ALL your knives sharp and performing their best from now on. Don't overlook sharpening - it might be the most important aspect of enjoying high performance knives these to their fullest.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:49 pm 

Thanks for the advice. By bolster, I was referring to the finger guard you see on Wusthof knives. I'll take a look at the knives you all recommend and see what one seems to fit me best. I'm also looking to get into sharpening my own knives, but that's a purchase for another day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:08 pm 

All Japanese knives dont have a full bolster if thats what you mean. However the Japanese knives with western handles often have a small bolster that does not obstruct sharpening.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:54 pm 

OptimusMax wrote:Thanks for the advice. By bolster, I was referring to the finger guard you see on Wusthof knives. I'll take a look at the knives you all recommend and see what one seems to fit me best. I'm also looking to get into sharpening my own knives, but that's a purchase for another day.

You should be able to get some more recommendations now.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]