It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: New Post for Knife Suggestion
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:59 am 

Joyce--

First, please know that I will never have the knife knowledge of some of the others who have been posting here, so you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt when you are thinking about the comments here.

My situation is a little similar to yours. I am 5'5" with decent knife skills (slipping a little with age and changing eyesight--it is unwise to chop at the speed of light when astigmatism causes a little double vision!). I am not a professional cook, but I teach classes. I chop for myself daily and once or twice a month I prep tons of things for a class.

I grew up with German and French knives, and had more recently tried some Shuns. In the past several months, thanks to the great help I have had here I have been moving into sharpening equipment and into a whole new wonderful world of knives. Eye opening, life-changing--however you describe it, my joy in chopping is greater than ever.

I only made one mistake as I acquired a few knives, and that was the Anryu. I am enough of a nerd that I read through acres of posts and even made a little Excel sheet about the knives so that I could better compare them. It was hard not to get excited about a few excellent knives when you could see a very excited, positive consensus developing around them, as has happened with the Anryu--described by many as a gorgeous workhorse. I am also a sucker for beauty.

I bought and returned the 240 Anryu. It was extraordinary, just like everyone said, but I knew the second I picked it up that it would be more a kitchen museum piece and less the knife I reached for every day. The geometry of each knife is so personal, and knives work differently for everyone. But all the reasons Melampus gave regarding his hesitation about recommending this knife for you personally were the same reasons that I so reluctantly (did I say it was gorgeous?) sent it back to CKTG. The weight and the balance of the weight, along with a few other factors, convinced me that for me (and only for me) it would take a different kind of "hand muscle" to use and that it might be more fatiguing for me than another choice. And I am not weak.

Again, please know that I am one of the least expert posters here and my experience might not be yours. I only wanted to say that it was so fascinating reading Melampus' thoughts about you and the Anryu because they echoed my own. Maybe with time and increasing skills this would have been a perfect knife for me, but I knew at this point in time I should make a different choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

LaVieest - your input is most valuable. Once again, Melampus brings his years of experience to bear on knife analysis and recommendations, delivering information that makes total sense for the situation. In retrospect, the Anryu 240 is a lot of knife and it's quite a bit more blade foward in balance vs. many Western handled, full tang knives. I'm really excited about this knife, but I've only used it a short time, and I'm also mainly using light & middle weight Wa handled Gyutos at this time and using Yo Gyutos only occasionally - so I'm actually most comfortable with this knife style. 20 years would build a strong Yo style muscle memory ;-) - I should have taken this more into account.

Your comments echo and reinforce Melampus' recommendation for Joyce. Thanks for you contributions - please keep it up :-).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:01 pm 

Thanks, Steve. You have all helped me identify several incredible knives, and I am glad you are enjoying the Anryu.

I found that the transition to wa handles took only a nanosecond, so the issue with the Anryu seemed to have little to do with the handle design (apart from the lighter handle weight). I also found I transitioned easily to knives that were quite different from the styles I was used to, so it wasn't that. It was actually my goal to get out of my old comfort zone and see what a different knife journey would be like. I wound up with a Konosuke HD2 Gyuto and (unable to stop myself because of the discounted price) the Moritaka Gyuto 240mm Blue video knife. The old German knives feel like strangers to me now, and I suspect that will be the case for the OP. Thinking about the Anryu, it was all about a tough-to-describe combination of weight and how the weight was balanced.

Again, thanks for the nice comments. I just wanted to let the original poster know that, from the perspective of another woman of the same height who was accustomed to the same blade lengths the OP liked, that I found Melampus' concerns about the Anyru amazingly thoughtful and accurate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Not to get this thread off track - but how do you like the Kono and the Moritaka? Great choices BTW :-).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:04 pm 

OK, great! Thanks LaVieestBelle and others. I signed up for email alerts for both sizes of the TKC and will wait until September when they are back in stock. In the meantime, I will buy some sharpening stones and practice on my old knives.

Thanks so much :!:

Joyce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:35 am 

Good idea. Get a couple of months practice is then you get family and friends abused knives.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:00 pm 

SteveG wrote:Not to get this thread off track - but how do you like the Kono and the Moritaka? Great choices BTW :-).

Thanks for the question. I’ll try not to hijack the thread too terribly, but I want to give Steve some feedback. Maybe it will be useful to the OP… Please remember that I am a novice and not a seasoned reviewer.

I adore both the 240 Konosuke HD2 and the 240 Moritaka video knife. If I am guessing right, Steve, the Moritaka went from your hands to mine.

The Konosuke was everything I hoped it would be. Love at first slice. All I could think was “what have I been missing in life?” When I read about lasers, I worried about thinness and about the light weight, but I decided to have some faith in the obvious excitement so many expressed in the threads, and I wanted to move to something substantially different. After cutting through the first onion and experiencing the knife’s almost magical ability to slice with almost no sense of friction at all, I was hooked. The balance was incredible, and the weight—when considered together with all the other attributes of the knife—was perfect. I still do not understand the occasional 4-star reviews that take a point off for the light weight. It is intentional! It is part of what makes the knife so great, and so very nimble, and so special to use.

I took a chance on the Moritaka Blue 240 video gyuto. The price was great, and I am a bit of a sucker for a rustic, artisan finish. I was a little worried about jumping up to a 64-65 HRC, but bit the bullet. It turns out that in this knife I found characteristics that came closer to what I was originally looking for in the Anryu I returned—but with the Moritaka everything just clicked. While the Moritaka, like the Anryu, was heavier (than the Konosuke) and balance-forward, I think that what made one knife feel better for me than the other came down to subtle differences in weight and length and balance, and how they all worked together.

Here are the weights of the three knives (including the Anyru that went back). I am taking the weights from the web site and the video reviews. I wanted to make sure that my sense of differences between the Anryu and the Moritaka was not my imagination.

Konosuke: 136 grams
Moritaka: 168 grams (web) 173 grams (review)
Anryu: 192.7 grams (web) 197 grams (review)

For me, what made the Moritaka sing and the Anryu feel a little “too much knife” in my hand probably came down to a subtle combination of length and, more critically, weight and balance. The Moritaka was the shorter, coming in at a little less than the 240 mark. The Anryu was longer than 240.

With the Moritaka, the weight and forward-heavy balance that felt “too much” in the Anryu worked perfectly. It may have been the extra 30 grams that, combined with the balance and the length, simply pushed the Anryu to the point where it would take a different kind of “hand muscle” to use for longer periods. Amazing how such seemingly small differences can have such a big effect in the hand.

At any rate, I am in love with both the Konosuke and the Moritaka, and I am using one or the other daily. And I did deeply appreciate the Anryu and I understand why many on the threads adore it.

Thanks, Steve, for asking. Back to topic!

Last edited by LaVieestBelle on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

LaVieest - you articulate your thoughts as well as anyone I ever seen on these forums. Great information!! Keep it up :-).

I'm glad you like the Moritaka :-). I hope the edge was decent enough OOTB - I did a light sharpening only on the Shapton Pro 1.5K stone, the some light stropping on horse butt to finish and deburr.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:51 pm 

How sweet, Steve. I worry about posting too authoritatively. No need to become an opinionated danger to others. I am new enough to knives that at the very least readers should weigh my impressions more lightly compared to the seasoned people on the threads. Still, happy to have something to offer here.

I know the Moritaka arrived here sharper thanks to your TLC. Thanks for the fine improvement!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:24 pm 

In quickly reading through this thread it seams to me the 240mm Kikuichi TKC would be the best choice. Of coarse the biggest problem would be the wait. Three knife months can be more easily measured in dog years.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2