It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:23 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shun Fuji Paring
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:58 am 

Has anyone had any experience with the Shun Fuji line? I was at Williams Sonoma today and the woman recommended them to me. I don't really trust most of the opinions outside of this forum on knives so I was curious what you guys though/knew. Only looking at the paring knife. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Shun Fuji Paring
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

15 <> I have no personal experience with the Fuji line, but as with all high-end Shuns, you can expect impeccable fit & finish in a well polished (figuratively speaking) offering. The Fuji line uses Takefu's SG2 PM steel that you often see called R2 steel by assorted knife makers. Top tier steel, hardwood hybrid handles, Shun's backing - I can't see how you'd be unhappy with a paring knife as profile and geometry are less suspect... assuming the cost is not a factor.

~ please excuse spelling & brevity as I am posting via cell phone... w/o any sleep in too long ~

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:48 pm 

Thanks for the response! Is the R2 steel the same as what is used in the reserve line? I like the handle of the Fuji line, but if the steel is identical to the reserve than I'll have to look at the prices. The woman at WS was saying a lot about how many layers of metal it had compared to others, etc. I wasn't sure how important that info was in the grand scheme of it all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:58 pm 

I believe the Fuji line is an exclusive to WS. The blade steel is the same as the reserve line as far as I can see. For the price of the Fuji, you could also look for a custom made pairing knife, or semi-custom such as Bark River.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:03 pm 

Thanks. The Fuji is going for $169 online at WS. Same price as the reserve I was thinking of initially buying. I wiuldnmt pay more than that for a paring knife.

How would I go about getting a custom paring knife?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:58 pm 

What purpose do the many layers of metal serve? The more layers the better?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:50 pm 

Rob - If you look at the forum home page and scroll down you will see a number of custom knife makers listed. People like Adam Marr, etc. I would send a few of them a PM and see what they might have in stock. One of my favorite pairing knives is made by Bark River. The handle fits my hand well, and I like S35VN as a steel. The 'Bird and Trout' knife in there series is the same as the pairing knife, but includes a sheath and costs about $ 20 more. Depending on what handle material you chose, you can bracket your price range. FWIW, the Shun Classic pairing knife gets good reviews and would be half the price of either the Reserve or the Fuji.

In am biased towards monosteels, but the main benefit, IMO, of cladding a knife with a stainless cutting core steel is for the manufacture to save money. They can produce a blade with a less expensive steel taking up most of the blades volume. There is an argument that can be made about a laminate construction being more rigid than a comparable non laminate, but it's a knife not a structural component. I find that laminated blades seem to give damped feedback when cutting and, generally, prefer a uniform, single steel in my knives. That is only my preference and many probably will, and do, disagree with that statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:54 pm 

I hear ya on the classic, I prefer the SG2 metal though. I think I prefer the Fuji's handle too if everything else is more or less the same.

Thanks for the other information too!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:30 am 

"What purpose do the many layers of metal serve? The more layers the better?"

From what I can see from the pictures these have a damascus cladding. The cladding has some design/manufacturing benefits but the only reason to trump up the layer count is marketing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:43 am 

Thanks. I guess it comes down to blade profile and handle for me in terms of reserve vs. fuji.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]