It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: >> LET'S WELCOME CKTG INTO THE SR ARENA! <<
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:33 am 

Curious on the steel... :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:02 am 

Should patina beautifully after being covered in warm blood.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:17 am 

I also purchased one, (haven't received it yet) looking forward to trying it out. After it's been honed and stropped to shave ready I will try and report back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:17 pm 

So I have received this razor and have now honed it. Attempted a shave last night but it's not up to snuff just yet.

I'll say that first off, the razor arrived with a small chip in the edge. Not a complaint, as I'm sure that CKTG would have taken it back and exchanged it had I asked. I chose not to go that route, as I have some experience restoring razors and removing the chip was not a big deal. I like the simple sturdy plastic scales, though the pin was a touch loose.

Next I honed it. I went shapton pro 1.5, naniwa ss 3k, arashiyama 6k, imanishi 10k, yaginoshima asagi, then nakayama asagi, before bare leather. This progression has yielded consistent results for around 20 razors now. I use something of a modified Lynn Abrams method, with circles followed by x strokes, then just x strokes after the 6k.

This razor did not take the edge well. I tried to rehone it with a few variations and the edge just wouldn't get to that hair popping sharp that I have gotten with vintage razors. I'm having a hard time describing how it came up short, but it just did not result in an edge that comfortably sheared whiskers.

Part of the problem shaving I believe to be a result of how flexible the razor is. It would bow back and pull on whiskers instead of holding shape and shearing them off. It is not just a matter of the hollow grind. I have several razors ground more hollow than this, and larger than 6/8, that have the requisite stiffness.

I have used various Sheffields, Swedish, German, and vintage USA razors, just to let you know what I'm used to. I have never used any new razors (Dovo, TI...).

I am not mad or disappointed, I knew I was taking a chance with a new and INEXPENSIVE product. It is CKTG's first attempt at this game, and in my opinion it is not quite there. Needs finer grained steel, at higher hardness I believe to achieve the shaving edge I want out of a straight. Others may have different experiences, and with continued work it's possible that I'll find the steel ok for edge taking, but as of my first several tries it is not up to the task.

This was an impulse buy for me, and I allow myself that with CKTG because I have consistently great experiences. This doesn't change that fact at all, and I'm looking forward to the next impulse buy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have honed mine a few times. The edge seems to crumble or burr over very easily, even when shaving my face. Steel seems a touch soft. I know from heat treating that the edges of a knife blank may suffer from carbon loss (decarb) when heat treated, so if they ground from the HT'd blank and didn't remove some metal from the edge first, it may be in the decarb zone, so I am going to bread knife the blade and set a new bevel and see how that goes.

I think the market really could use an entry level SR for under $100. New SR's usually start at like $110-$150 for a known brand like Dovo, Ti or Ralf Aust; there are some for less, but quality is questionable. If the steel hardness was bumped up and Mark has them made truly "shave ready" (IE bevel fully set and honed/stropped), I think these would be great for an entry level piece! Or offer a non shave ready for less $$ than the shave ready version, maybe use a 1K stone to set the bevel properly as the entry level and shave ready for a little more $?

Handles are easy enough to replace, so I don't think that is a big deal. People want the quality in the blade first and foremost.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:49 pm 

LucaBrasi wrote:So I have received this razor and have now honed it. Attempted a shave last night but it's not up to snuff just yet.

I'll say that first off, the razor arrived with a small chip in the edge. Not a complaint, as I'm sure that CKTG would have taken it back and exchanged it had I asked. I chose not to go that route, as I have some experience restoring razors and removing the chip was not a big deal. I like the simple sturdy plastic scales, though the pin was a touch loose.

Next I honed it. I went shapton pro 1.5, naniwa ss 3k, arashiyama 6k, imanishi 10k, yaginoshima asagi, then nakayama asagi, before bare leather. This progression has yielded consistent results for around 20 razors now. I use something of a modified Lynn Abrams method, with circles followed by x strokes, then just x strokes after the 6k.

This razor did not take the edge well. I tried to rehone it with a few variations and the edge just wouldn't get to that hair popping sharp that I have gotten with vintage razors. I'm having a hard time describing how it came up short, but it just did not result in an edge that comfortably sheared whiskers.

Part of the problem shaving I believe to be a result of how flexible the razor is. It would bow back and pull on whiskers instead of holding shape and shearing them off. It is not just a matter of the hollow grind. I have several razors ground more hollow than this, and larger than 6/8, that have the requisite stiffness.

I have used various Sheffields, Swedish, German, and vintage USA razors, just to let you know what I'm used to. I have never used any new razors (Dovo, TI...).

I am not mad or disappointed, I knew I was taking a chance with a new and INEXPENSIVE product. It is CKTG's first attempt at this game, and in my opinion it is not quite there. Needs finer grained steel, at higher hardness I believe to achieve the shaving edge I want out of a straight. Others may have different experiences, and with continued work it's possible that I'll find the steel ok for edge taking, but as of my first several tries it is not up to the task.

This was an impulse buy for me, and I allow myself that with CKTG because I have consistently great experiences. This doesn't change that fact at all, and I'm looking forward to the next impulse buy.

My review is identical to this, my first razor had a fairly large chip about a half inch from the heel, I tried to hone it out but even with excessive honing it was still slightly there. Of course CKTG excellent customer service shipped me out a replacement really fast. (Thanks again) when I received the second one, it had no chips and the bevel was a little more consistent, so to the stones it went, and from there my experience is pretty much like the one above.

I just can't get this razor truly shave ready. I have used this progression and technique many times now always with great results. I set a new bevel on the Shapton Pro 1500, follow by the green brick of joy, followed by the Suehiro Rika, followed by Shapton glass 8K and then finished on the Shapton glass 16K, then 1/2 micron diamond spray on bovine and then finished on bare horse leather. The blade just won't take this refined of a edge (at least for me) I also use a very similar technique as the one above, tight circles followed by X strokes. Only differences Is I continue to use the circles with very light pressure through all my stones followed by X strokes. This progression and technique has yielded excellent results on my vintage razors, easily passing the hanging hair test or tree topping arm hair. I also am not upset about it, I knew I was taking a chance at this price point when I purchased it. I will continue to work on it and see if I can get some better results.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:29 pm 

I have this razor too and can agree with others who have wrote here. This razor doesn't take a good enough edge to shave with no matter what you do. You can get it to shave with the grain sure, but it's not a smooth shave and you have to do several passes before every whisker has gone. Forget about doing against the grain, it's going to be a bloody mess :)

I was very disappointed and ended up tossing this for another razor.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2