It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need some help!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Just snagged a near wedge on EBAY: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SA:US:3160

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:50 am 

Awesome work Tim, looks great! Nice pick up on the vintage wedge also.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:56 am 
Forum Moderator

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Landers ... true&rt=nc

And this one too, LOL! Then I went to Classic Shaving and got some restoration supplies, wedges and pin sets and a hanging strop to compare with the other strops I have. I have some redwood burl and some other materials here to redo the handles on the near wedge. May also make up some more of my laminates for SR scales. Much easier/economical to do thinner pieces than the big blocks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:13 am 

Very nice pick up Tim, I see you have been bitten pretty hard by the straight razor bug. Keep us posted on your straight razor scales, I have no doubt they will be great. Your a heck of a craftsman!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Got my brushes, strop, soaps, etc in today! Flattened my stones and went back through a Bester 1200, San Aoto (hard aoto, 3-5K), Yaginoshima Asagi and then Ozuka Asagi with a touch of 1 micron BC. Off the stones, I was able to tree top arm hair for the first time if I angled the blade slightly down as I passed thru the hairs on my arm. I stropped on a Illinois 127 strop 20 times linen side, 25 leather side. Once stropped, it did a bit better on the tree topping arm hair. Did both of my great uncles razors like this, did a quick warm water face wash down, soaked my boar brush for a few minutes in hot water, shook out and went to town on the Prorasco soap. Didn't really get much of a tall lather going, and it was starting to dry out on my face towards the end, but the shaving went a bit nicer. Less hair grabbing than the past previous times and I did my whole face WTG. A few tiny nicks/weepers from bumps on my face, but the alum block worked nicely. Stung in a few places, mostly with the weepers/nicks, but not bad overall. The Prorasco was the menthol/eucalyptus and was pretty tingly on the skin. Still gotta work on the edges a touch more to get that HHT and tree topping smoother, and practice more stropping, but overall, much better than the last time I tried!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:02 am 

has anyone had any luck with their new Richmond straight razor? I haven't had much luck with mine so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:47 am 
Forum Moderator

Not me. Seems a bit soft; last time I tried it, the edge kept crumbling away on me. Gonna breadknife the edge and see if the steel at the edge was decarbed or something and try it again this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:21 pm 

I had to resort to that - didn't have much success - I'm not sure how i'm going to proceed with it at this point. Hope you have better luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:06 pm 

As I said, mine came with a chip in the edge. Having gotten to the bottom of that, I am sure I am beyond the effect you are describing Tim. Still no edge taking ability. Steel is just not up to snuff, as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:09 pm 

Mine came with a little dip in the edge - but after taking that out and sharpening, still no edge taking ability either.

Page 4 of 5 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next