It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chosera 400
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:22 am 

i purchased this stone from Mark and have been using it for about one month now. i bought it after reading a lot of good reviews on it. talk about nice. i am used to the shapton GS stones because that is what i learned on. the GS 1k and 4k. i can already tell i am going to like the choseras much better. the reason is the feedback, mostly. it has both excellent tactile as well as good audible feedback. the stone is hard. it dishes very slowly, even for a lower grit stone. one thing that surprised me right away was how quickly it raised a burr. it raises a burr quicker than another brand of stone at 220 grit. i was ready to go to the next stone in the 1000 grit range after only 2 minutes. i am learning and after i get better i am sure it will be less than that. this is on a henckels knife. not too much more to say other than to summarize:

excellent tactile feedback
good audible feedback
hard stone
dishes slowly
raised burr quickly
splash and go (some soak it, which is probably not a good idea. reports of stone cracking after too much soaking. YMMV)

this is my favorite stone below 1000 grit so far. if you buy it you won't be dissappointed!

pat

Post subject: Re: Chosera 400
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:23 am 

Excellent succinct review. About the soaking question: I moisten and wait a few minutes.
When brand new, the outer layer isn't too active. Flatten as every new stone and you will get surprised.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:55 pm 

Benuser,

i have heard some like to soak the stone. then others were chiming in saying their stones were starting to crack. i believe the theory is that the chosera is composed of some type of magnesia salts, which are soluble in water. too much soaking over time can leach out the magnesia salts and contribute to structural failure. just what i have heard.

pat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:24 pm 

Benuser,

where are my manners? thank you for the kind words.

pat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 am 

You're most welcome, Studio398! About soaking: I guess you're right. I've found the same, the hard way. Do not soak. I moisten the upper surface and wait a few minutes.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]