It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:03 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: masakage mizu 150mm petty
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:34 pm 

delmar wrote:...my mizu petty is used a lot by my 10 year old daughter, who is a newbie with knives.

That's the way Delmar! Start'em young!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 am 

I too have a Mizu on my list to get.
Like delmar I have an Anryu - a Hammered Gyoto - and am impressed with the craftsmanship. I am thinking if made by the same hand it should be a great knife.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:21 pm 

MJWIT - I didn't mention initially because you didn't ask and because it was out of stock, but I would remiss if I didn't also point you towards the K. Anryu suminagashi 150mm petty. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaankusupe15.html. The KU finish is a 2nd favorite to the Mizu, and it adds a really nice damascus touch from the KU down to the white paper edge. It is a very appealing blade aesthetically. I have the nakiri in the same line, and it performs beuatifully. Fit and finish is very similar to the Mizu and Anryu Hammered lines - nice rounded edges, great choil radius. The handle, much like the mizu for me, is a take it or leave it piece, but handles can be replaced. It is also 25% or so cheaper than the mizu. Yes, yes, I know it is out of stock, but an option nonetheless.

JEFF B - she bakes really well (which is a challenge, since her diet is gluten free). She's good with the knives, but I think that comes out a health dose of fear and respect. She watched my mom (her grandma) cut clean through her nail and down to the bone with an 120 petty. Daughter has got the best claw grip I have ever seen - her finger tips will never be close to the blade!

GLADIUS - Hammered blue is my favorite of his 3 lines. Beauty for me is equally in terms of utility, performance and aesthetics. When people see my knives, their hand usually finds that gyuto or suji first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:02 pm 

She sounds like a really cool customer Delmar, your a lucky man!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:23 am 

Thanks for the other suggestion - but I decided on the Mizu and ordered it today. I'll be anxious to compare it to my Shimo as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

I hope you like it. Anryu was the most engaging and cool blacksmiths I met in Japan last week. He also was hammering out his knives three at a time which I had not seen before. Very fun to watch him.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Here he:

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2