It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 9 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutting board wood
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:28 am 

I don't have access to a planer. I did just put it in another room with the fan blowing over it, no AC in the room but it is only around 70F now. Tomorrow I'm going to open to window though to let some of the hot weather in so that gets blown over the board.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:37 am 

+1 Dubya
And he's talking about Pine 2x4's not Oak.
As far as planing it's wayyyy too early for that.
The OP posted about wanting to make some sort of judgement on Monday. Still too early.
I spoke with David Smith about the care & feeding of his boards and he opined that you could put enough oil on the top that it would come out the bottom so it is end grain and it does have porousity.
As to the raw chicken.....don't...just don't.
Never had samonella but from what I've heard, I'll take a pass.

Be still grass hopper. the good will come to you.

Douglas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:41 am 

He has it in the air conditioning because the air is dryer there. Cool dry air is better than warm moist air. And you can't use a planer on an end grain board. And last but not least, he has a Maple board and not Oak.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:57 am 

I think it'll be better in the other room though. The air was definitely too cool and the weather has cleared up. I am not going to open the window though as that may invite too much humidity in.

So in terms of cleaning it, generally it i just a damp rag? I shouldn't use a sponge with water and soap? I ask because even the care instructions mention using dish washing detergent and warm water. I mistakenly put it in the sink (to make my life easier) and sprayed it with hot water and scrubbed it with a soapy sponge. Maybe warm water with a soapy sponge and leave the board on my counter. That way I never soak it as I won't want water to spill on to the counter as it is.

I guess I should invest in something for raw meat. I'm thinking a thin plastic board (almost paper thin and flimsy) that I could keep under the board (as it has feet) and take out when needed. Suggestions? Maybe this - http://www.amazon.com/SE-FCB-2-Flexible ... ting+board

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:37 am 

Those cutting mats are okay, but I've cut through them loads of times. A lot of people who use nice wood boards buy a plastic board just for meats and poultry.

At anyone not washing cutting boards: Ew. At least use salt or an acid. Or both. Or H2O2. Or dilute bleach. Food born illness isn't worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:39 am 

I take back the planer idea.. that would likely just tear the board apart. And I was talking about SPF which will dry out way faster than hard woods. Just need to give it time. Slow and steady wins the race.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:46 am 

Slow and steady its going to be. I've also been thinking about how much I put raw meat on my other board now. I bring a chicken home, I put it on a rack which is set in a baking sheet pan, salt it and throw it in the fridge for a day or two. Same with beef. When I take it out to truss the chicken and prepare for cooking, if I need to put it on the board it won't be hard to lay down a sheet of aluminum foil or plastic wrap first. Not sure I'm going to bother with another cutting board for raw meat. I also think if you be sure to cut and prep items on the cutting board in the right order to avoid cross contamination it should be fine regardless. Not to get into scientific debates, but besides the bacteria being pulled into the wood and off the surface, it would only help to wipe it down with detergent along with the occasional bleach solution.

Not trying to think about purchasing any more cutting boards as what was supposed to be my crown jewel is currently in recovery, haha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:25 pm 

I've been using a wood cutting boards in my house for twenty years. Use it for any and all prep including raw meats. Just wipe the board down with a damp soapy rag then a damp clean rag and you will never have a problem. I think you have to be pretty slovenly to worry about food born illnesses. I've heard about them all my life but there has never been a problem around here. Cooking temps are more important that rather you sanitize your cutting board.
If you keep a coat of oil, bees wax really helps a lot, the board will absorb very little of anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:48 pm 

Exactly what i was thinking and hoping to hear. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

I wash mine under hot water with soap each use, no problems with them warping or anything?

Page 9 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next