It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Picking stainless steel knife
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:13 am 

Looking for stainless 210 gyoto recommendation under $175. No handle preference. Have basic sharpening skills. Right handed. First J-knife. Kaneshege, Misono 440, Suisin Inox?

Post subject: Re: Picking stainless steel knife
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:23 am 

I haven't personally used it but reading the forums has led me to believe that the Takamura Migaki R-2 Gyuto 210mm is extremely popular and well liked. And it is exactly at your price $175.00.

Now I have used my friends Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Gyuto 210mm for a couple hours and I liked it a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

Scott - those are two great suggestions for you.

the Takamura R-2 210 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html is an awesome performer. You can check out the videos on it. The handle is a little on the slender side, but if you pinch grip it's no big deal. Just a great knife.

The Takayuki: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy210.html is also a very good knife if you want to try a Wa handle. It's a great looking knife in person if you like a little bling on your blade. Nice AEB-L steel.

Personally, I think the Takamura flat out smokes the Takayuki in performance (and the Takayuki is a good performing knife) - it's worth every single penny IMO.

If you want to go lower in price another great performing option is the Kohetsu Blue #2 210 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohetsublue1.html. If you want to venture lightly into carbon steel, this has a great core carbon steel that's only exposed at the edge. Only this area will patina, the rest is stainless cladding on each side. This steel sharpens just super easily. It will make you feel like a sharpening champ. The handle is pretty basic and utilitarian, but you forget about the handle one you start using the knife :-).

My favorite entry level priced 210 Gyuto is the Tojiro DP 210: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html.

Out of this list, I'd go for the Takamura hands down.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:51 pm 

+1 takamura coming from a professional setting... beastly beastly knife.

Possibly my favorite knife on this site

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:34 am 

Yeah +1 on what Steve said. I had my eye on the Takamura couple of months back when I was shopping for a new gyuto also but it was out of stock at the time. I went with the kohetsu Blue #2 and am not disappointed. Its so easy to sharpen, and so easy to keep sharp with just a few strops at the end of each day that I can't imagine a better steel to start with. But I've not tried the R2 in the Takamura and that knife looks absolutely stunning.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 am 

Another vote for the Takamura Migaki 210. This knife is everything a "laser" style Japanese should be. My favorite knife by a fair margin. I've sung its praises in too many previous posts to bore you all with yet another recitation. Just buy it - you won't be disappointed, believe me.

My only complaint - and I mean my only complaint - is that Chef Knives to Go doesn't have it in a 240 mm version.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:21 am 

if you are willing to put in a little bit of work, the tanaka ginsan 210 would be a great option, its super easy to sharpen and these take an extremely acute edge, check out steves video on the product page.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:55 am 

Two stainless I like a lot: Hiromoto G3, and Misono 440. The first with the best steel, the last with its remarkable F&F. Consider a 240mm, by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:09 am 

+1 on the Takamura. I have it and love it. Quite a different character than many other knives - very slender and laser-y, but also holds an edge for a looong time. Also it's a killer deal at $175.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:26 am 

if you would consider a stainless clad carbon it will open up many very good options for you.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]