It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Which Entry Level Knife?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:09 pm 

The Blue #2 really is the best of that bunch, by far, for the money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:02 pm 

Thanks everyone. I think your feedback has confirmed that the Blue #2 is my top choice of the gyutos I mentioned. I am almost positive they will not try to sharpen their knives, so I think edge retention is something they will value, and it seems the Blue #2 surpasses the FKM stainless in this category. Would anyone who has handled the Blue #2 and FKM compare their fit and finish?

I've decided to put my bias aside, and get your feedback and recommendations for Santokus under $100 as well. I like Gyutos better, but I've noticed that a lot of people like Santokus as well. Would you give me some opinions and help on the list below? Which ones have the best fit an finish, and are there any standout performers?

1. Fujiwara FKM stainless
2. MAC Superior 6.5 (possible upgrade to pro)
3. Richmond Artifex 190
4. Tojiro DP 170
5. Sakai Takayuki Damascus (I'm assuming this is the best performer of the group, but is it worth the price increase?)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:05 pm 

Have a look at the Hiromoto AS 190mm.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:13 am 

I don't know if your bias in this instance is incorrect. A gyuto is truly the all purpose knife, even when it's mostly for veg prep. Some people need to be led to the river.

I haven't used the Kohetsu but I know exactly how the F&F are going to be: decent. The handle is exceptionally simple and unadorned and it's not going to be gorgeous, but it easily performs the best in the group in knowledgable hands. The knife is intended to be 100% performance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

As Lepus mentioned, I'd stay w/a 210 Gyuto. The blade finish on the Kohetsu is very good, the handle, as mentioned is very simple, but quite serviceable. No metal bolster, etc.

That being said, the Hiromoto AS 190 Santoku is a very nice knife, extremely comfy to use (at least for me), great core steel with a long lasting edge, not too hard on the HRC rating. It's one of my very favorite Santokus on the CKTG site. It's 190mm edge length is a plus, getting into Gyuto territory - a good compromise in my mind. It's a great knife for the $ as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:10 pm 

As far as stainless goes, I recently picked up a Haruyuki/Akifusa 240MM. The thing was blazing sharp out of the box and uses an SRS15 powder steel (HRC 63-65) which means edge retention should be great. Really love the knife so far. Goes through produce like it doesn't exist. You can check out a review of the 210MM on CKTG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:50 pm 

Thanks for the input. At this point I'm between the Kohetsu Blue #2, Hiromoto AS 190 Santoku, and Fujiwara FKM gyuto. I'm assuming the fit an finish in order would like like; Hiromoto AS (santoku bc the gyuto is out of my price range), Fujiwara FKM, then Kohetsu. Is that accurate, and how big are the differences here? I believe this will be important to them, possibly as important as how well it cuts. Also, can anyone compare the edge retention and geometry of the Hiromoto AS and Kohetsu? Does one hold an edge longer than the other, or have blade geometry that makes for better easier even when loosing sharpness?

The Haruyuki/Akifusa looks great, but it is out of my price range. $125 is even a little more than I wanted to spend.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:47 pm 

I don't have the Kohetsu but do have the other two: Hiromoto for sure. It has a good feel and sharpens easily and stays sharp.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2